Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Hi again Margaret,

The family that Christine found for you in the 1841 census of Bristol is the only one I can find in the 1841 which has a Maria born c1837 and all the other children that were born to a Joseph & Harriet WALTERS in Stroud. Therefore I think you can pretty well assume that they are your family and Maria's parents and siblings. Given that we cannot find this family in the 1851 census and that Maria marries in 1856 in Melbourne, I would assume that the family emigrated sometime between 1841 and 1851. Looking for marriages for the other children, there are marriages for a Joseph WALTERS to a Mary WHITE in 1857 in Victoria, Thomas WALTERS to a Miriam KINSELL in 1862 in Victoria, several marriages for an Eliza WALTERS at around this time in Victoria and a marriage in 1868 in Victoria for a Harriet WALTERS to a Sidney TABER. None of this is conclusive evidence and definitely needs more investigation but could suggest that the family had indeed emigrated.

Have you looked on the TROVE Newspapers website to see if there is any mention of the family there. Perhaps there could be some mention of marriages or an obituary for Joseph or Harriet. In the meantime, I will see if I can dig up any more info on Joseph and Harriet.

Janet

maggym

Default Joseph WALTERS & Harriet WICKHAM

Hi Jan
    Thanks for your prompt response. I'll start digging in the Victorian records to see what I can find. Will let you know when/if I find anything further on the family!
    Regards
    Margaret

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12