Lisa Dart

Default Charles Boniface

Hi. I'm trying to find out what happened to a distant uncle Charles Boniface b 1880 devonport Devon, England. He married a Sarah Salter & travelled to Canada with her on the Lake Monitaba in 1906. She returned with only 1 daughter & a new baby son but settled down without her husband Charles. He was entered as a cooperative labourer on the daughters birth certificate, he was also in the navy before he married but on his naval record it states he went AWOL in South Africa, I'm assuming this is why he left the navy. I have a picture of him in uniform, which has been suggested on another site it was Canadian!it seems he might have joined the Candian mount when he lived in Canada. I know he had a son born in Mile Stone Canada, George Crawford Boniface b 1907.
    He justs seems to disappear completely after this. Any help would be great, it would be nice to know where he lived his last few years, also any military info.. There was another Charles Boniface who emigrated to Canada but I believe he died during the First World War. Charles's birth date was 13th March 1880.
    Many thanks
    Lisa

Famous for offering help & advice

HI Lisa...
    Welcome!

I gather from the 1911 census that Sarah returned to the UK pre 1910 and remarried a John Robbins? Finding deaths for Saskatchewan is difficult, but I will keep looking for you. I was unable to find Charles on the 1911Canadian or 1916 prairie census.

Did a 3 year old ( when they emigrated) daughter called Mary die in Canada as well?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I know he had a son born in Mile Stone Canada, George Crawford Boniface b 1907.
    Can be found on the 1911 UK census

He died 1929 in Tyne mouth Northumberland

Alvena was married in 1922 to Matthew REED again in Tynemouth Northumberland she fied 1940 Bromley Kent

Lisa Dart

Thanks to you both for the info. George did die young & as I'm aware he never married or had children which is a shame. I noticed on the passenger list the daughters ages were muddled & also the name different to her registered one. They had Alvena Winifred Ruby Boniface B 1903-1940 & Eveline Elizabeth Boniface- she must have died or possibly stayed with her father Charles in Canada as she never returned with her siblings & mother. I do have a picture of Charles & his mother, he was in the Canadian uniform, assuming he visited on his way to France in the First World War! A lot of assumptions. His birth date was 23 mar 1880!!
    Many many thanks

On the passenger list I looked at the original says a Mary, age 3 as well as Alvina age 8/12 along with Charles and Sarah.
    I searched the divorces for that time and cannot find a divorce for them and she did remarry? very quickly or did she just co-habitate and pretend they were married?

Did his parents go to Canada?

Sue

Are you one of the people discussing Charles on here? There is a lot of information...how true, I can't say. https://www.
    rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=551399.0
    Do note there was another Charles Boniface in Sask. living with several siblings and his parents so may be one of the Charles mentioned, especially for the land grants.

Sue

Lisa Dart

Yes I was part of that conversation, a lot of info regarding another Charles Boniface too. Nobody seems to be able to find my Charles Boniface frustrating xx