Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Allen, is it possible that your Samuel went to USA / Canada AS a prospective Farmer because they were what was need over there?

I've seen many such leaving UK to be farmers when they may no have been such before.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Allan F Sparrow

Thanks, Sue, and good luck!

I'm beginning to think that this case is not going to run very far...

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Allen, is it possible that your Samuel went to USA / Canada AS a prospective Farmer because they were what was need over there?

I've seen many such leaving UK to be farmers when they may no have been such before.
    No doubt it is possible, but I have seen no evidence. Actually, I'm less interested in why he went than in when he went, whether he got there, and whether he made a life in America. Also, I really do wonder about his father's prolonged absence from British records - between the 1851 census and the 1881 census: he wasn't even the person who registered his wife's death shortly after the 1851 census. Most likely I'll never know, but that's just how it is, sometimes.

Allan

thewideeyedowl

Default "The Song of the Emigrant Ship"

Allan - I've just found this:

https://www.foxearth.org.uk

Here you will find research publications by a local history society; scroll down a long way to 'The Song of the Emigrant Ship'. It's properly entitled: Emigration from rural East Anglia in the 19th century, and is the work of Humphrey Clarke. (Sorry I can't get the direct link to the specific page to work from iPad.)

Apparently, there was so much emigrating going on that the schoolchildren sang a song about 'the emigrant ship'. Lots of emigration to Australia and NZ, but some to the US. Good background, so it really is worth a look - you might get some new clues.

I found this by binging (assisted emigration) AND (farmers) - just like that. Give it a go?

All the best for today...

Wideeyed Owl

Allan F Sparrow

The Song of the Emigrant Ship

Interesting stuff. My genealogical searches in Suffolk had made me aware of some emigration to USA and rather more internal migration, especially to County Durham and other mining areas: several branches of the Fitches family uprooted and moved together, and at least one whole family of Sparrows went to America; but I didn't know how much emigration there was in total.

This article makes it possible that Samuel left earlier than I thought, i.e. before 1861; but though I have now looked for him as Walter, as well as Samuel, I'm getting nothing that's any use.

framboy

hi allan just joined the site and saw your thread my great granddad was Samuel Maurice sparrow born in horham Suffolk in 1858 married Elizabeth scoggins and was a farm worker

Allan F Sparrow

Hi! Nice to hear from you, though as far as I can tell the Horham Sparrow family is not related to mine, which seems to have originated in Cambridgeshire, near Newmarket, before moving into West Suffolk in the 1700s, and on to Surrey in the 1860s. The Samuel I was originally asking about is said to have emigrated, but simply disappears from the records.

On one of my Horham trees/branches I have a Samuel born 1857, probably died 1937. His wife was Elizabeth Ann, but I never did get her surname. They had (among others) a son Maurice Samuel (1890-1977), so I suppose this is your branch. If you need any help, let us know, right here.

Allan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12