Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells View Post
    Researchers using Parish Registers should be aware that Parish Registers, like most other records we use are transcripts of other records.
    this is an interesting point that Guy makes, and one that many of us may be unaware of until we start reading lots of parish registers all the way through, rather than just delving in for the odd marriage or baptism. It is easy to miss the odd comments made by the curate about how the register is a copy made from an earlier register, or in fact the original registers are in fact a copy made of the curates original jottings made throughout the day and week, which he doesn't actually enter into the register until days, weeks, maybe months later, some time not at all. Some kindly curate may add a note in, many years later and add in whole families that have sworn their children were baptised but have been completely omitted from the register!

So mistakes do happen, and errors can creep in as there are many opportunities along the way between the original event, and the index you get on CD.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Yes I agree. Although I am unable to prove it at the present time I do feel that this situation is one of those mistakes.
    I think I had better plan a longer trip to Suffolk next year than first organized!

The how, why, when or where of it all is still a mystery but perhaps one day the door will open!
    In the meantime I am not actually accepting Mary Cook as part of my family although I am sure she was a very nice lady whoever she was!! I'm sticking with Jane Boon/Boze/Bone/Boozey etc
    If I ever find the truth about this family I will be sure to let you know!

Thanks again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345