Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Original Parish Church Register

On my next UK trip I am hoping to access the original parish church baptismal register for Kirton, Suffolk.
    Can anyone tell me where that would be stored. I have the transcription CD but believe there to be an error.
    I have been watching too much WDYTYA where the subject of the show turns up at the church and finds a very experienced researcher sitting in the front pew with just the register opened at just the right page and all kinds of other information at hand.
    I realize that won't be my experience but do I go to the church or the record office or somewhere else?
    Many thanks

Wilkes_ml

It depends on the year of the register you want to look at, but I am guessing it will be one that has been archived and probably microfilmed, and therefore it is likely to be at the Suffolk Record Office here https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/sro

There will also be microfilm copies held at local libraries for their local parishes, but you would need to contact the libraries to check what they have.

Only registers that are still in use would be at the church!

Ken_R

Just a word of caution. Most Libraries, for access to the Genealogy Section, require a Reader's Ticket. Once purchased, nominal fee, it is accepted (I believe) by all (UK) Libraries.

However, to obtain one, it is stipulated that what is required to be produced is:-
    1. Photo ID
    2. Proof of address. i.e. Utility Bill.

I'm not sure how 'strict' they would be concerning an overseas visitor but, as they say, Better To Be Warned....

Thank you both very much. During my last trip in 2008 I obtained a readers card from the British Library which was close to my son's home in Islington. That would possibly still be valid but may not have what I need.
    I shall contact Ipswich record office and see what they have.

The year is 1809.
    Strange how the old registers are always produced on the TV show for the celebrities! It is all so contrived yet very enjoyable!

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Dargie View Post
    On my next UK trip I am hoping to access the original parish church baptismal register for Kirton, Suffolk.
    Can anyone tell me where that would be stored. I have the transcription CD but believe there to be an error.
    Hi Dargie,

I am not familiar with the sort of transcription CD you mention, but does it not have the location of the original in a bibliography or list of sources on the CD itself? Nothing about who transcribed it or where?

Best wishes,

Lenore

Hi Lenore
    Yes the CD came from the Felixstowe Family History Society. The introduction does say that it was taken from the original church register but does not mention if they have that register or if it is located somewhere else.
    However you have reminded me that I should contact the society and they can probably answer my question regarding the location of the original register.
    Thanks for waking me up!!
    Marj.

A fountain of knowledge

Hi Marj,

No worries - and I suppose it is possible that they were working from digital images, so you might as well tell them what the problem is and they might be able to resolve it for you.

Good luck,

Lenore

I am just a little worried that the original register is wrong!! Maybe the wrong name was put down for the mother. I wonder if this did happen on occasions.
    My 3x great grandfather had three wives according to the baptismal register transcription. However no death for first wife,no marriage to second wife no death of second wife or no marriage to third. I know I have the right father as nephews etc validate the siblings in later records.
    As first wife and last wife were named Jane and surnames were Boze and Boon I feel certain that the name of mother for two middle children baptisms on the same day (Mary Cook), was incorrect. I feel certain that Jane Boze and Jane Boon are one and the same.
    Maybe the minister had been celebrating the night before or had his mind somewhere else.

A fountain of knowledge

There is always the potential for error, so it is worth checking the original - the meticulousness of the minister is going to be a factor - sometimes they do them in batches months apart. Sometimes their writing is very unclear, or the nib is thick and inky. Other times the indexer might have used a name on the line above. I was looking at a cemetery index a few weeks ago that had the deceased born in Melbourne - which I didn't believe for a second because it was before there were white settlers there. When I saw the register page, it was clear that Melbourne had slipped down from the person above, and my person had a blank in the place of birth. But of course indexes are often set in stone. I once valiantly tried to have an online index of births altered to reflect what was actually on the certificate. The indexer had misread the surname initial as a G instead of E. The authority took the view that the index was an historical artefact in its own right and could not be altered, whereas I took the view that the index was an aid to finding original documents. I wasn't really asking them to change the ORIGINAL index, just the online index - but no. Unless it is stumbled upon in the same way I got there, it will remain lost.

I am not sure I will ever solve this one as I feel concerned that the original names may be incorrect.

After my trip next year I will either solve the riddle or let it go!! I guess some mysteries are never meant to be solved.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast