Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wilkes_ml

What I am also noticing from going through parish registers, is that there were a lot of couples who married in churches that were quite a distance from where they lived. Some churches seemed to be very "fashionable" where nearly all marriages were by licence and both bride & groom were from parishes a good 10 miles away...some even from a neighbouring county..and this is for the time period 1730-1780, though more so for the pre 1754. Although I am seeing this in Essex, I would guess this would be the same throughout the country. I also notice that many widowers & widows seem to marry away from their original parish.

So it is quite possible that if Daniel Hudson was widowed (and it is quite likely) then he may have married some distance from the parish he was last known to be resident in.

Wilkes_ml

And also, I have just realised that Hollesley & Shottisham are in Suffolk, just across the border from Essex, and I have seen lots of Suffolk (& Cambridge, Herts, London & Norfolk) people marry in Essex, so I assume there were many Essex people who married in Suffolk, and I remembered you queried the name BOZE. In Essex, BOOZEY/BOOSEY is actually very common, and a quick search on FMP burials also shows BOOSEY burials at Sudbury, Suffolk.

Nicolina

I did notice several other HUDSON baptisms, in Hollesley. Plus there are a couple of interesting marriages:
    20th Feb 1775 Jonathon HUDSON, widower of Shottisham to Mary BALLS
    7th Apr 1807 William HUDSON, widower to Sarah PUNCHARD, single woman

I can extract the other HUDSON records for you.

Wilkes_ml

You probably already have these, but in case it helps, these are from the burial index

5 year old Maria HUDSON was buried at Shottisham in 1805, so the original should tell you if this is a child of Daniel & Jane

and Mary HUDSON was buried at Hollesley 19th February 1805..the original should tell you whether Mary was an adult or an infant,
    and also Mary HUDSON was buried at Hollesley 20th december 1807
    and 5 year old William HUDSON buried at Hollesley 7th August 1808 who could be a son of Daniel HUDSON

but I also can see no burial of a Jane HUDSON or a re-marriage of a Daniel HUDSON in the indexes so I can understand how you can think there may be an error, but I have found the indexes (on FMP) to miss some marriages & burials that I have found in the original registers.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Wow thank you so ,much Michelle and Nicolina. I am so grateful to have some input and help as this problem has been driving me crazy for so long.

So much of what you have both given me is new. I have been to bed once and couldn't sleep so got up to do some more thinking!! I will come back in the morning and do some more work on your great suggestions. I really think you have given me some very valuable clues.
    I especially like the Maria burial (bad choice of words!) as Daniel did name another daughter Maria (1911) mother Jane Boze also I notice a William pops up as a marriage witness in Kirton. As the boys do not appear to be baptized this could be another son renamed William.
    Once again thanks so much I will be up bright and early to follow through on your suggestions.
    If I try to do it now I'll certainly confuse myself!

Nicolina

I only managed to find one BONE baptism in Hollesley but I've a feeling that we need to look further afield as my JARVIS' family were also from Hollesley but I cannot find them.
    20th Jan 1765 Philip baseborn child of Elizabeth BONE was baptised.

Wilkes_ml

I'm guessing you have gone to bed already, but when you wake up.....I am assuming as you did not have those burials, then the CD you have is an index of Baptisms only? In that case you may also be interested in the burial of a Jane HUDSON at Kirton, Suffolk in 1846 who was born 1772, so I guess she was 74 when she died. I am also guessing this would be the (last?) Jane who was married to Daniel HUDSON...a shame she died before the 1851 census, as this would have given a place of birth for her. But if you do not already have it, you could get her death certificate (although I doubt very much that it will have her maiden name on it, but should say if she was the wife or widow of Daniel Hudson).

Wilkes_ml

also to add another complication, you would really need to see a copy of the original marriage entry of Daniel to Jane Boon in 1797 at Shottisham to see if he was single or a widower, as in 1795 at Ipswich, there was another marriage of a Daniel Hudson to a Mary RUSHMORE. As Ipswich isn't far from Shottisham, this could be the same Daniel Hudson, or a relative.

edited to say that it is likely that the Daniel Hudson who married in Ipswich probably stayed in Ipswich, as a Daniel Hudson born about 1758 was buried at Ipswich in 1838

whereas your Daniel Hudson was most likely the one born about 1772 and buried at Kirton, Suffolk in 1842.

Chris Long

I recently visited the Suffolk Records Office in Ipswich, Suffolk with my wife, and found that it was easy to register. They do not use the CARN system, so we just had to show some form of identification with our name and address. We did e-mail them prior to our visit to check opening times and reader and ecord availability, giving our proposed date sof visit. A very quick reply from them confirmed the records were avalaible and that they had also researved a fiche reader for us.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Chris. I will be coming to UK next year so appreciate your advice. I look forward to my trip greatly but would love to solve a few brick walls before I get there as time will be limited.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast