LeesaYeo

Default St Philip & St Jacob Marriage Lookup please

I believe my ancestor, Thomas Yeo b. 1743? - d. 1828 Wincanton, Somerset) was married to a Mary (b. 1751, Wincanton - d. 1845, Wincanton) at St Philip & St Jacob in 1776. Can anyone confirm this and see if their are any more details of the bridge and groom to help me trace their families.

Many Thanks

Leesa Yeo

Allan F Sparrow

I may yet succeed in tracking this, but if the marriage occurred in 1776 it was not at Wincanton, or so it seems: FreeReg has the registers, and found nothing for Thomas Yeo. However, according to FreeReg, the parish church was dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, not St Philip and St Jacob.

If I find anything more helpful, I'll be back.

Allan Sparrow

Allan F Sparrow

Thomas Yeo aged 85 was buried at Wincanton at the Church of St Peter and St Paul on 6 April 1828, according to FreeReg, so that fits with your information, though I did not see a baptism for him.

Mary Yeo aged 94 was buried at Wincanton at the Church of St Peter and St Paul on 1st May 1845.
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 09-09-2013 at 2:33 PM. Reason: Additional info

Allan F Sparrow

Mary Yeo born 1751 was in Wincanton in the 1841 census, but you may already know that. With her were Elizabeth aged 30, another Elizabeth aged 6, and a Charlotte Barton (or Banton) aged 25. Mary and the younger Elizabeth were described as paupers, the other two as charwomen.

I looked at FMP for Thomas Yeo's marriage, but nothing to fit.

Family Search has a Thomas "Yoe" with a wife Mary who had a son John baptised at Kilmington (not far from Wincanton) on 17th October 1775, but whether this has any relevance to your couple I would not know!

Do you have any place-name connected with this couple, apart from Wincanton? If the church dedication you mentioned is correct for their marriage, I wonder where the church was - probably somewhere fairly near, where Mary was living before her marriage. The fact that she was buried in Wincanton does not mean she was born there, and the same applies to Thomas.

pottoka

You may have this, but Mary was living in Wincanton in 1841:

1841 census transcription details for: Mill Street, Wincanton

National Archive Reference: HO107 ; Piece: 952 ; Book/Folio: 10/61 ; Page: 29

Reg. District: Wincanton
    Sub District: Wincanton
    Parish: Wincanton
    Address: Mill Street, Wincanton
    County: Somersetshire

YEO, Mary - 90 - Pauper - Somerset
    YEO, Elizabeth - 30 - Char Woman - Somerset
    YEO, Elizabeth - 6 - Pauper - Somerset
    BANTON, Charlotte - 25 - Char Woman - Somerset

P.S. I must have been writing this at the same time as Allan #4, but fussed too much with the presentation! That'll teach me (probably not)
    Last edited by pottoka; 09-09-2013 at 3:15 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.

Allan F Sparrow

At least we have read the details the same way!

I have just been looking through the parish lists for Somerset at FreeREG, and the only church I have found dedicated to St Philip and St James was in Bristol - but FreeREG does not yet have the marriages for the relevant period.

I tried for a Bristol marriage at Family Search, but did not find one.

LeesaYeo

Thank you for such quick replies, and apologies for omitting to say that St Philip & St Jacob is in Bristol!

LeesaYeo

Oops speedy fingers. I googled online parish records for St Philip & Jacob in Bristol but it seems there are none. But it appears from old (2006) threads on here that some people have a CD of the parish records.

Allan F Sparrow

I reached Bristol on my own, anyway!

There must be a local family history society that sells CDs, I suppose. I haven't looked, but you might wish to. I've bought CDs from Suffolk FHS and Cambridgeshire FHS, and a booklet from Glamorgan FHS, and found them all worth the cost - some more than others, inevitably!

Allan F Sparrow

I have now looked, and it's the Bristol and Avon FHS which has CDs for sale. They have one for marriages 1754-1812, which is what you would need, and it specifically says that St Philip and St Jacob is included. But I ca't spend your money! There may be someone else at BG who has a CD and decides to chip in...
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 09-09-2013 at 5:05 PM. Reason: Correcting omission