Shani Saville

Default Wyman family of Edmonton

Hello,

My Birth Fathers family had the Surname Wyman, and in the 1900's - 1970's they had associations with the Edmonton N9 area of North London, especially Lower Edmonton, the part from Edmonton Green, and Bury Street, Tramway Avenue, and down to Freezeywater in Ponders End.

I know there are a couple of graves in the cemetary at Church Street, I've been there to see them, and one or two names appear in the local Kelly's directories for Wyman labourers, bricklayers, builders etc... but I've not been able to establish if they are family or not.

I understand from talking to my Uncle many years ago that they were somehow involved with brick fields somewhere in Galliard Road Edmonton, next to Pymmes Park,

and that they were involved with the building of the college on Hertford Road near Ponders End, and that they helped build some of the houses in South Street and Church Road in Ponders End, somewhere near to St Matthew's church, this information I discovered "by accident" while reading a book about the area when I was searching for the records!

I visited the Borough Archivist, Mr Graham Dalling when his office was in the basement of the crumbling Southgate Town Hall, and he was quite helpful, but my time there was limited and we didn't get very far.

I've moved 280 miles away since then and I think Mr Dalling has retired, his office probably now gone, and I no longer know where or how to continue the search, I thought posting this here might fetch some replies so I can look elsewhere.

Thank you,

Shani Saville.

janbooth

Ancestry have London Electoral Registers online and taking a cursory look throws up in the 1925 Electoral Registers a family of 4 WYMANs living at Bury Street.

The Electoral Registers are shown as being from 1832-1965 so you may be able to work out which are your families from them.

Janet

janbooth

Another look on the Electoral Registers shows 4 WYMANs living in Galliard Road (which is in the Bury Street Ward) in the 1946 Register of Edmonton plus 2 in Balham Road which is also in the Bury St Ward. I'm afraid I know nothing about the area so whether these families are connected to you I can't say but hopefully if you look at the Electoral Registers you will be able to find the family you are interested in.

Janet

Shani Saville

Thank you, this is very helpful to me.
    I suspect they are "my" Wymans, because I visited a lady living in Galliard Road, many years ago, and she was holder of the registration documents for the graves in Church Street.
    Her facial features were stunningly similar to my own Father's (I think he was the lady's Nephew, but we weren't able to confirm it as her memory wasn't all that great anymore. And fair play to her, she didn't know me from Adam. just taking the chance to knock on her door as I did... talking through a chain on the door), I wouldn't have let somebody "cold calling" like that in either, or be giving too much information out. I was planning a follow up letter, but sadly she passed away before I had the chance. Another stone in church street to add to the family collection. How I wish I'd done this earlier, but we all live and learn.

janbooth

Too true and I suspect the majority of us wish that we had questioned members of our family about their ancestors before they died. For instance I have recently discovered the existence of a half uncle (my mother's half brother) and he lived until the 1980's but my mother never spoke of him and she was in contact with all her other family so I wonder if she even knew of his existence. I never knew that my maternal grandfather had been married before his marriage to my grandmother until shortly before my own father's death when he idly mentioned it in conversation by which time my mother was dead and Dad knew nothing more than the bare facts. So frustrating!

Let me know if you would like any more help re the Electoral Registers if you cannot gain access to them. Good luck.

Janet

Shani Saville

thank you.

I searched them on Google, and you need a subscription to enter them, so something to save up for!
    I'm not in work now so I can't spend much money on it.

However I found a few leads on the Ancestry webby because they have free acess to the 1911 cencus this weekend,
    so that's helped a bit.
    I found family of my Father's Mother, and loads of my In-Laws (from Russia) on there.

Happy days!

pennydog

Try your local library - they may have Ancestry and/or Find my Past available there to use for free, you just need to book a computer session.

Shani Saville

I will give that a try - thank you.

janbooth

Liz,

Have sent you a PM re WYMANs in Edmonton Electoral Registers just in case any are still living.

Janet