Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    LilyAllenFan86

Default Whatever happened to the Stone Sisters?

Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me out and help me find what happened to the sisters namely Caroline Camplin Stone and Mary Westley Stone, daughters of an Undertaker Father Jonathan Bowcher Stone and his wife Elizabeth Wright, Mary the elder of the two had been baptised twice firstly in a Nonconformist ceremony on 9th July 1817 in Kingswood, Gloucestershire and then secondly at Oldland, Gloucestershire on October 17th 1819, while Caroline had been baptised on the same day October 17th 1819 at Oldland, Gloucestershire.
    As well as being baptised on the same day they also married on the same day October 23rd 1844 at Holy Trinity, Kingswood, Gloucestershire, Caroline marrying a William James Hatherell and Mary marrying Elijah Charles Hatherell, their grooms being brothers their Father named Isaac Hatherell, the trouble I am having is I can't seem to find anything after their marriage in 1844.
    Their other siblings were;
    Samuel Wright Stone (1815, Bitton, Gloucestershire)
    Gaius Augustine Stone (became Mayor of Cardiff)
    Philip Henry Stone (1825, Kingswood, Glou-1862, Bristol)
    Catharine Sabina Stone (1827, Kingswood, Glou)

I would be very grateful for the help if anyone can.

Beth

Allan F Sparrow

You already have more than I have been able to find in a quick look around FreeBMD and FindMyPast. Apart from a few deaths at FreeBMD, all I have seen is the Stone family in the 1841 census! And the marriages, of course, at both sites i tried.

Do you have any idea when the Hatherell brothers were born?

There is a possibility of a joint emigration, of course...

I hope someone else decides to try their skills, because this one looks really difficult.

Best of luck.

LilyAllenFan86

Unfortunetly I can not find anything about the Hatherell brothers apart from their marriage only clue of their birth is the name of their Father Isaac.

Ancestry has a US Civil War Draft Registration for an Elijah C HATHERELL, aged 38 (in 1863) from Wisconsin, born England
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

LilyAllenFan86

Thanks for that I'll check it out

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by LilyAllenFan86 View Post
    Unfortunetly I can not find anything about the Hatherell brothers apart from their marriage only clue of their birth is the name of their Father Isaac.
    Family Search has a number of references for Isaac Hatherell in Gloucestershire in the 18th century, which you might well wish to look at.

The American reference found by Sue Mackay fits with my idea of emigration: with two brothers marrying two sisters, the idea of continuing together looks a possible motivation for them all to go to USA. But speculation on my part is not the same as proof!!!

Allan F Sparrow

Family Search also has a few references for Charles Hatherell, though not for Elijah; and many references for various William Hatherells, so it looks as if the family was quite numerous in Gloucestershire, and some branches remained there into the 20th century. Perhaps you already know this, but it certainly increases the difficulties when branches of families keep on using the same names.

Allan F Sparrow

This appears to be your Hatherell family, at Marshfield, Chipping Sodbury, in the 1841 Census:

HATHERELL, Isaac 50 1791
    HATHERELL, Hanah 45 1796
    HATHERELL, William 20 1821
    HATHERELL, Elijah 15 1826
    HATHERELL, George 10 1831 Gloucestershire
    HATHERELL, Alfred 8 1833 Gloucestershire
    HATHERELL, Isaac 6 1835 Gloucestershire

At least this gives some indication of their ages, which you said you didn't know. It seems that Isaac, his wife, William and Elijah were not born in Gloucestershire.

In the 1851 Census, these three were still in the same place:
    Isaac, 58, seine and basket maker, born Bremhill, Wiltshire
    Hanah, 56, born Colerne, Wiltshire
    Alfrid, 16, seine and basket maker, born Marshfield, Gloucestershire

Not that this helps with Mary and Caroline, but it does show that William and Elijah were no longer in the family home.

The date of birth for Elijah in 1841 agrees with the age at death in the US document.
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 06-09-2013 at 8:37 AM. Reason: Lack of clarity in list

Allan F Sparrow

As a matter of interest, Colerne, Wiltshire, is only about three miles from Marshfield, Gloucestershire. Bremhill is rather further off, on the other side of Chippenham, Wiltshire.

Family Search has Isaac Hatherell marrying Hannah Wicks at Colerne on 7th December 1815.

pippycat

New York Passenger lists 1829-1957

"Eliza" Hatherall c1823 England. Carpenter
    Mary Hatherall c1821 England. Milliner

further up the page: George Hatherall c1829 England. Carpenter

Depart Liverpool on ship "Underwriter"
    Arrive New York 7 April 1851

Ancestry 1841 census has the family transcribed as "Hatherrie"

There is an EC Hatherall (farmer, born c1828 England) in Darien Co, Walnorth, Wisconsin 1870 US census. Married to Lucy, with 2 sons Frank and Byron....but this could be anyone!

Rebecca

Forgot to add:

WM Hitherall age 21y 7m (origin Gt Britain)
    Arrived New York 19 May 1845.
    ship: Mississippi
    No sign of Caroline though.
    Last edited by pippycat; 06-09-2013 at 9:16 AM. Reason: added info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast