Default Third time lucky - James HOBBINS

I couldn't resist this! I was at Kew on Tuesday photographing extracts from the Cape Frontier Times, looking to transcribe births, marriages and deaths in South Africa. Normally I skip over the "News from England" sections, but this caught my eye

Cape Frontier Times January 20 1841
    MARRIAGE EXTRAORDINARY
    A few days since at the parish church of Himbleton, by the Rev. John Vernon, James HOBBINS Esq of Chaddesley Corbett, after a lengthened courtship of four days, to Harriet, youngest daughter of Mr. William CHAMBERS, of the New-house, Himbleton. The youthful bridegroom was rather past his prime, being in his 77th year, and consequently had no time to lose. His fair bride (who has seen nearly 16 summers) had pity on him, and took him off-hand "for better or worse" - after he had settled upon her the whole of his property, amounting to upwards of £300 a year. It seems that the newly made Benedict offered his heart and hand this previous Monday to Miss Susannah CHAMBERS, the bride's eldest sister, and, on being refused, made overtures to the next sister, Miss Ann, from whom he also received a repulse; but, determined not to be baulked in his intention to obtain a young wife, and remembering that "faint heart ne'er won fair lady", he tried a third time, and, as before stated, was successful, Miss Harriet being unable to resist the pressing solicitations of the persevering wooer. The loving couple are now at Liverpool spending the honeymoon.
    Doncaster Chronicle

I looked it up on FreeBMD and the marriage was in Droitwich RD, Sep qtr 1840, vol 18 p 277
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wilkes_ml

It's funny, as I've been noticing a few old men lately marrying much younger women and though it very unusual.

It reminds me of one of the Austen books, either "Pride or Prejudice" or " Sense and Sensibility" where I'm sure one of the men tried to work his way through the daughters!

Edited to say it was Pride & Prejudice where Mr.Collins wanted to choose one of the Bennett sisters to be his wife, and he wasn't really fussed which one it was, as long as he got one!

Starting to feel at home

Great story...at least he was persistent!!