Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ogier

steviebee

Default Ogier

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any information on the surname 'Ogier' from Stepney area of London. Or even a family name.

Thanks.

Steve.

Michael Duke

I think I have an Ogier in a family of Hugenots in the East End , I will delve into the murky bowells of filing system, I may be gone for a little while. Best Regards

steviebee

Hi Michael Duke, thank you, that would be great if you had any info on the Ogiers. I believe I am descended on my paternal Grandfathers side from John Ogier and Louise Mallard.

Is this the marriage of Louis Mallard and John Ogier you are referring to?

Frances Malard
    [Louise Francoise) Malard] (Correction by a contributor) Spinster
    Marriage Date - Feb 1718
    Parish -St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney Middlesex
    Borough Tower Hamlets
    Spouse -John Ogier, weaver

Both of this parish

steviebee

Hi Christanel, yes that is my couple (x6 Gt Grandparents). Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to find them. Would you mind if I asked where you found this information, only being newish to this any pointers would be much appreciated.

Kindest Regards.

Steve.

janbooth

Steve,

The actual marriage record is on Ancestry's London Parish Registers and reads 8 February 1718 at St Dunstan & All Saints by licence John OGIER of Sp.f (Spitalfields presumably), Weaver and Lewisa Frances MALARD, same, spinster.

Multiple burial records on the same site for John OGIERs at Christ Church, Spitalfields.

I don't know whether this is relevant but, given Louisa's second name perhaps so, there is another marriage at St Dunstans & All Saints on 11 July 1697 of a Francis MALARD, St Martins in the Fields, and Frances GANDRON of Spitalfields. There is an occupation shown for Francis but I cannot make it out - perhaps someone else will be able to.

Janet

janbooth

Further information from my Huguenot Letters of Denization & Naturalisation CD:

Oath Roll Naturalisations 1710

Estienne (Hester) MALARD
    Francois MALARD

This could be worth bearing in mind for later on in your research:

From Aliens in London CD:

1571 John OGIER of St Omer of the age of 39 years, in England 3 years, Quinta his wife bourn at Tourney came over with him and for religion, his wife of 30 years, having a child of five years of age, Silkweaver

Janet

janbooth

Also several OGIER wills on The National Archives Documents Online website which can be downloaded for the sum of £3.36 each if any of them are relevant to you.

Ancestry has the London Probate will online of a Mary Rene OGIER, spinster of Norton Felgate dated June 1745 in which she names several siblings including a John - perhaps worth a look.

Janet

Michael Duke

Default Ogier

I found my Ogier, he was Abraham Ogier who married a daughter of Rene TURQUAND and his wife Catherine Marie MARIN.

The TURQUANDS were heavily into sugar refining and silk weaving in the Spitalfields area.

Best Regards

steviebee

Thank you all for your replies. You have all been very helpful. My next step is to purchase Ancestry's family Tree Maker which I believe has 3 months free access to ancestry.co

Kind Regards.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast