Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Wilkes_ml

I did trace back Charlotte Locke to William & Louisa Locke, and I found them in al the censuses, so it is quite possible that Charllote's sister was the Anne Elizabeth Locke who may have become Elizabeth Charlotte Sharmer. Charles Henry Locke may not have been the son of James Sharmer at all, but possible step-son.

What was interesting, was William Locke became widowed, and married a much younger woman called Emma Strange Cripps. Whose widowed mother was called Charlotte E. Cripps...had my mind running round in circles for a while, too many Charlottes!

Wilkes_ml

So In 1851 the Ann in question is living with William & Louisa and the rest of her siblings at 3 Cottage Sqaure St. Mary Newington Ref: HO107; Piece: 1566; Folio: 569; Page: 12

she is aged 19, born Marylebone and occupied as a Milliner, therefore born 1831-1832

edited to add, Ann is the daughter of William and Louisa, and the sister of Charlotte Locke.

Wilkes_ml

I think we have solved it! Ann E Locke is indeed with Charles Henry Locke at 20 Wood Street, Lambeth the same address as given on Charlotte Elizabeth Sharmer's death certificate. So I believe Ann E. Locke (Charlotte Locke's sister) is the same woman as Charlotte Elizabeth Sharmer, but why has she changed her name, and why did Charles Henry grow up with the surname Sharmer?

Anyway, the 1871 census reference is RG10 piece 665 folio 11 page 15

At 20 Wood Street Lambeth

Ann E. Locke, age 38, lodger, dressmaker, born bayswater, middlesex
    Charles H. Locke, 8, son, born Surrey, Lambeth

The chances are, William James Sharmer was Charles Henry's father, but she never married him, but took his surname.

Wilkes_ml

Maybe because Ann (I assume her middle name is Elizabeth) was very close to her sister Charlotte, that she chose to take on her sister's name as her middle name and became Elizabeth Charlotte Sharmer.

lynneg

Hi
    Thanks Michelle
    I found the census .In 1851 there is an Ann with William and Louisa but theres also a Elizabeth aged 8 yrs. so now I am totally confused with all the Elizabeths,Anns and Charlottes.!
    Lynne

Wilkes_ml

Yes, when I first saw the 1851 census, I automatically saw Elizabeth and at once assumed that it was Elizabeth Charlotte, but realised that elizabeth was 10 years too young!! so that's why I dismissed the Lockes at first. It was only when I looked again and noticed them in Wood Street that I realised it is probably Ann Elizabeth that is the woman you are looking for. An if Charles Henry is the man you are related to, then there is a birth registration for him in 1863 under the suname Locke, though I suspect it will only give his mothers name, but you may be lucky and find a father's name recorded.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thank you Michelle for putting #20 into perspective...I thought I was barking up the wrong tree!!

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Thank you Michelle for putting #20 into perspective...I thought I was barking up the wrong tree!!
    That's the problem with some ancestry tree hints ...they give you a glimpse into someone's tree without explaining the source or relationships. the mad thing is I went through all the Locke census back to 1841, then forward again to William Locke's remarriage to Emma Strange Cripps and got myself all excited about Charlotte Elizabeth Cripps and gave up when I realised there didn't appear to be any relationship! I think the Locke family is indexed on Ancestry under Lacke in 1851, will see if I've still got the 1841 reference tomorrow morning.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

1841 census
    HO107 732 6
    under the name of LOCKER!!

Has twins Louisa & Amelia on, Ann in 1861 ( I think) has nephews living with her, probably babysitting for them on census night, Frederick Charles LOCK is the son of Amelia!

Some trees on the well known site I tend to treat with contempt!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123