Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    lynneg

Default Sharmer -stuck in London

I have been trying for years to find anything on Charles Sharmer b 1861 Walworth to Elizabeth and either a William or James Sharmer stonemason .Found Elizabeth's death in 1872 as widow of William Sharmer a stonemason in Lambeth but 1871 census no Charles or Elizabeth. Charles got married in 1885 in Bethnal Green,I have searched in vain for his parents or any other family .Rumour has it that they originated from white Russia but ?
    Lynne

Wilkes_ml

I get the impression that Sharmer is an assumed name as there does not appear to be any Sharmers in London until the death of Elizabeth and marriage of Charles Henry Sharmer in Bethnal Green. I think his birth was probably registered under a different name, and for some reason him, and his mother Elizabeth changed their name.

Have you found any reference to Shamer in any of the London Trade directories that cover the Lambeth area around 1871?

Wilkes_ml

Is it possible that Charles Henry Sharmer was actually George Henry Harman, the son of William Henry and Charlotte Elizabeth Harman

Living in Lambeth in 1871 Ref: RG10; Piece: 672; Folio: 155; Page: 5

William Henry Harman's occupation is Ornamental Sculptor, which fits in well with stonemason, and if William henry died or abandoned the family, or if Elizabeth left her husband, Elizabeth may have changed the family name.

Charlotte Elizabeth Harman is aged 40, born Cirecester, Gloucestershire
    Emily Harman, daughter aged 13, born Kennington, Surrey
    George Henry aged 10 born Kennington, Surry
    Florence Mary Harman age 3 born Lambeth Surrey
    Edith Harman age 5 months born Lambeth Surrey

If you check the 1874 Surrey directory which covers Lambeth, you may find if he is still listed.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 02-09-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: added extra details

Check out whether any of your Sharmers may have Anglicised themselves from the Dutch name Schaama (approximately the same pronunciation).

Dale in New Zealand

Wilkes_ml

Unfortunately this wasn't your Elizabeth Charlotte, as I eventually found this Charlotte Elizabeth Harman in 1881 still at Lambeth, now widowed aged 50, with George Henry, another daughter Ellen, Emily & Edith.

I'm really struggling to find any sign of your Elizabeth Charlotte or Charles Henry. They just suddenly appear!

Could this be Charles Henry in 1881? The surname has been corrected to Shermer by a contributor to ancestry
    RG11 Piece 553 Folio 17 Page 28
    124 Walworth Road Newington.
    James Mc Millan 43 carpenter,unemployed Scotland
    Charlotte Mc Millan 34 Wife Pimlico
    Charles Sharmen 18 Nephew bootmaker's apprentice born Walworth Surrey

If the enumerator did the entry correctly then Charles is James McMillan's nephew but a possibility he is Charlotte's nephew. Or is Charlotte his mother? No can't be if you have her death in 1872.

Possible marriage for James and Charlotte
    On same page FreeBMD
    Marriage Dec 1/4 1873
    Charlotte Locke and James McMillan Pancras vol 1b page 60

James in 1871?
    RG10 Piece 611 Folio 74 Page 45
    11 Kings road? St mary Newington
    William Lewis 44 ? joiner Wales
    Ann Lewis 36 Monmouthshire
    William Lewis 8 Newington
    Alice Lewis 2 Newington
    John Lewis 1 Month
    James McMillan 33 house ? unemployed Scotland

There are quite a few Sharmers on FreeBMD starting in births Sept 1846. There are even more Shurmers.

Quote Originally Posted by lynneg View Post
    I have been trying for years to find anything on Charles Sharmer b 1861 Walworth to Elizabeth and either a William or James Sharmer stonemason .Found Elizabeth's death in 1872 as widow of William Sharmer a stonemason in Lambeth but 1871 census no Charles or Elizabeth. Charles got married in 1885 in Bethnal Green,I have searched in vain for his parents or any other family .Rumour has it that they originated from white Russia but ?
    Lynne
    I am missing something I know but how do you know Charles Henry's mother was Elizabeth Charlotte? Charles Henry can't be the informant on the death cert, he was too young and you don't have him in a census with his mother so the only evidence of a father is on the marriage cert of Charles H and no evidence of a mother at all. Is that right or what have I missed?
    Christanel

lynneg

That's a good question.It was because she was the only Sharmer in London in the Walworth area.His first born daughter was Florence Charlotte Sarah Sharmer.He gave the name of his father as James William stonemason when he married but Elizabeth 's death certificate says her husband was William James a stonemason.
    Lynne

Wilkes_ml

I'm just wondering if they could be in the workhouse in 1871 under just their initials. Probably worth browsing through the workhouse if you can find it at the end of the Lambeth schedule.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast