Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lynneg View Post
    That's a good question.It was because she was the only Sharmer in London in the Walworth area.His first born daughter was Florence Charlotte Sarah Sharmer.He gave the name of his father as James William stonemason when he married but Elizabeth 's death certificate says her husband was William James a stonemason.
    Lynne
    Who is the informant on Elizabeth's death certificate? Other details such as address?
    I'm just thinking that Charles H would only be repeating what he had been told about his (supposed?) father by his mother - and the informant on the death cert may have only been repeating what Elizabeth had told them about her (supposed?) husband.

Also you could be looking at variations on the surname such as Shermer/Shurmer/Shirmer. I have been using mostly Sh*m*r when searching.

Good point about the workhouse Michelle.

Christanel

Wilkes_ml

Unfortunately I can not seem to find the workhouse easily! And strangely one of the districts of lambeth appears to be missing on Ancestry...now this is when it would have been handy to have the 71 census on disc instead of the 91 lol

searching "blank" street of Lambeth on FMP only throws up about 150 pages to search through, so I think that can wait till tomorrow. I misled myself a bit thinking the new workhouse had been built, but unfortunately it hadn't.

I hope for your ancestors sake, she wasn't in Lambeth workhouse or infirmary just before her death in 1872, as this is what is written about the state it was in https://www.workhouses.org.uk/lit/Greenwood.shtml

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Found this entry

1871 RG10 27 76 33

CH SARNER 10 birth place NK

Hi geneius

what terrible writing on that census you found. I like the C H but am not convinced of the surname. After comparing the first letter of the surname with others I think it is a T and possibly the surname should be Turner? I compared it with Leah Thomas, servant, a few lines further up the page.

Christanel

lynneg

Hi Christanel
    The informant was charlotte locke address same as Elizabeth 20 wood street princes rd Lambeth.So it seems charlotte and Elizabeth were connected somehow as Charles was living with her on the 1881 census.
    Lynne

Wilkes_ml

Hi Christanel
    The informant was charlotte locke address same as Elizabeth 20 wood street princes rd Lambeth.So it seems charlotte and Elizabeth were connected somehow as Charles was living with her on the 1881 census.
    Lynne
    And Princes Road was the road where the Workhouse was at Lambeth! And rarely did they actually say "workhouse" in later death registrations, instead giving the address of the workhouse.

Wilkes_ml

Charles was living with her on the 1881 census.
    Had you mentioned that before? Which address were they living at in 1881 and do you have a reference number? Up until now we didn't think there had been anything connecting Charles to Elizabeth Sharmer. I didn't realise that he was found living with the woman who register the death of Elizabeth Sharmer who is assumed to be his mother.

lynneg

In the 1881 census they were living in stoke Newington -124 Walworth rd
    Lynne

Wilkes_ml

So in 1881 Charles is living with Charlotte McMillan Ref: RG11 piece 553 folio 17 page 28 At Stoke Newington, and she was Charlotte Locke, as Charlotte Locke daughter of William Locke, Stone mason married James McMillan in 1873.

So we now have a definite connection between Charles Sharmer and Elizabeth Sharmer who died at Lambeth in 1872,

Now the connection between Charlotte Locke and Elizabeth Charlotte Sharmer could just be that Elizabeth's husband and Charlotte Locke's father were friends or colleagues. Maybe looking back at where Charlotte Lock and her father were in the preceding censuses may help locate Elizabeth Charlotte and her husband.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Comments please
    RG 10 665 11 15

I have had a look at the LOCKE connection and note there is an

Ann Elizabeth B 1833 who in 1871 has a child Charles Henry LOCKE b 1863

There is a tree on the subscription site an/y interestingly the only sibling of William & Louisa LOCKE that is locked 'private' is the one
    related to Ann

the only suitable SHURMER / SHURMER I can see is a bit of a lad.....

Male SHURMER
    q2 1839 Stroud Glos 11 409

Criminal
    James SHERMER trial 1 July 1862 Gloucester 12 month imprisonment + hard labour crime Larcency!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast