Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Question Dr I.T. Blackmore,L.A.C.P

looking for information on the above doctor. Just received death certificate of Thomas Blackmore,my husbands GGG grandfather. It is certifified by Dr I.T. Blackmore, L.A.C.P in 1875 Hackney Middlesex.

Can anyone tell me what L.A.C.P. would mean and if possible where can I find any information on this Doctor and to see if he is related to the patient.
    thanking you
    Doreen

Allan F Sparrow

Are you sure it's LACP? If it were LRCP, that would be Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, if memory serve me correctly.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

hi allan
    yes could be LRCP. Where would I find info on him.

Just curious that the treating physician named Blackmore is the same name as the patient. could possibly be related. trying to see if there is a connection.
    thanks
    Doreen

Allan F Sparrow

Feeling my first response rather brief, I'm just going to search at Ancestry and FindMyPast - I shall return!

family search has an interesting article Here about the practice of medicine in the UK.

I have read the Table of Registrable Qualifications at the front of the medical registers on ancestry but can't see anything for L A C P

The article on familysearch says Aberdeen was a very popular university for medical training. So could the L be Licentiate of Aberdeen College of Physicians? Then again I could be way off line.

I'll leave the browsing of the directories to you Allan at this stage. I have domestics to attend to.

christanel

Allan F Sparrow

A quick search at Ancestry and FMP found nothing, but a better searcher might well have more luck! I thought perhaps the I might really be a J, so I tried that too. At FreeBMD there are many people with names like James Thomas Blackmore, mostly getting married in the 1840s or 1850s, some of them in the London area.

If we had what details are available on the gentleman who died, it might give a lead. I'll look for him via his date of death, but any additional detail would help.

Business Directory for London, 1884 [Pt 1 Alphabetical section]

Blackmore, James T, Surgeon, 303 Old Street, EC and 21 Douglas Rd, Canonbury

Possible candidate?

Allan F Sparrow

That does look promising.

I've found census entries for the Thomas Blackmore who died in 1875: the FreeBMD entry says he was 77, i.e. born about 1798, and I have what appears to be his family in Ash Priors, Somerset, in 1851; in Brompton Ralph, Somerset, in 1861, and in Hackney in 1871, but there is nothing to indicate that the doctor was his relation. I can post details of the census entries if the original poster needs them. There is also a probate record: probate went to a married daughter, Elizabeth Grant.

At Ancestry there is at least one tree purporting to deal with this family, but I cannot guarantee its accuracy: even my own tree is probably not 100% accurate, hard and long as I've tried!

Allan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Just received death certificate of Thomas Blackmore,my husbands GGG grandfather. It is certifified by Dr I.T. Blackmore, L.A.C.P in 1875 Hackney Middlesex

Thomas BLACKMORE died 29 July 1875 at 52 Eleanor Road Hackney. His sole executrix was his daughter Elizabeth GRANT wife of Thomas JUBAL GRANT. Est <£200

A daughter Georgina pre deceased him, she lived at Eleanor Road

It is unusual for a Doctor to treat members of his own family!

Allan F Sparrow

Yes, that's one of the things I found.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast