sheilastain

Default Stephen Goldsmith

Hi Everyone
    I hope that someone out there can help me.
    I travelled to Norfolk record office a couple of years ago to obtain a copy of a Settlement Certificate relating to James Goldsmith in Banham. From that I found that James had been born in Timworth Suffolk. Last week during a short break in Suffolk I went inot the Suffolk records office to search the Timworth records. From that I found that James Golsmith was bapt 4 April 1753.Parents Stephen Goldsmith and Mary. I also found the marriage of Stephen and Mary who were both widows on 20 July 1751 and were said to be resident in the parish. The Settlement certificate said that when he was born his father was settled in Timworth. I take this to mean that he was born elsewhere.
    I have since found on family search that there was a Stephen Goldsmith born 1700 and buried 1760 in Tuddenham.
    Unfortunately I don't think that there is anywhere online that I can view these records or memorial inscriptions, so I was wondering if anyone had access to these or any other information on a Stephen Goldsmith in the Suffolk area at that time.
    Thanks in anticipation

Sheila

Brick wall demolition expert!

Sheila

Findmypast has some Suffolk Parish Records including the burial for Stephen Goldsmith in 1760. However, for these records it does not have scans of the original pages as they were provided by the National Burial Index, which has been compiled by local family history groups.

I know from my own experience, that actually looking at the originals can sometimes yield bits of additional information of clues, that have not been included in the National Burial Index.

If you can't get to the record offices, how about contacting the Suffolk Family History Group? https://www.suffolkfhs.org.uk/

sheilastain

Hi Megan

Thanks for your interest, but apart from the burial details it does not appear that they have transcribed the records that I would like information from. Maybe I'll have to wait until I can afford another holiday in the area.

Sheila