KRGardner

Default The meaning of names

I have found this website very handy when i have come across confusing sources of information

https://www.behindthename.com

As an example a person is named as Jehu

He was found in one census as Jehu and in the next census is named as John.

Now at first I thought 2 different people but in the first census it gives the name of his father, mother was found visiting.

In the second census father has died and give the mothers name.

Still no proof but after looking more closely at the census and old maps of the area for the said dates there was only 3 homes in the area, all farms. Which seems to mean that Jehu and John must be the same person
    After looking up the names on the website I found

JOHN m English, Biblical
    English form of Iohannes, the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious"

JEHU יְהוּא m Biblical
    Means "YAHWEH is he" in Hebrew...

Therefore Jehu = Yahweh = John

But still no proof ???

The family bible for said family shows that he was christened Jehu but used the name John.

So to add to the confusion in the business of genealogy we all know that Jack is also used for the name John

Which means then

Jack = John = Yahweh = Jehu

Which means that there could be lots more family relationships that were ignored due to the fact that a different name may have been used.

A quick search of google using the term ' diminutive names ' will show even more sites that deal with nicknames aswel

horseshoe

hello,
    I have just found an ancestor whose in-law , male, was called " Peki" as a first name! I wonder where that came from?, the individual was born in Yorkshire. All I could find was a breed of chicken called a Pekin Bantam.

Any ideas anyone?

KRGardner

Try this site

https://www.alohafriends.com/namep.html

Also maybe the person was named after the Christian town of Peki Avetile in Ghana ???
    Do you have african roots ???

horseshoe

no, not that I know of, I know nothing of the Butterfield family of Yorkshire or their provenance this was someone who I think married my great grandmothers sister, who I think is my grandfather's aunt.