Wiganexile

Default Breakthrough - and new puzzles

This started out with me trying to find out when James Gleave's wife Margaret died.

After having failed to find the death record of Margaret Gleaves in the 40 years after 1851 it struck me - at long last - that James's wife 'Mary' in the 1851 census might not have been a transcription error.
    Having adjusted my brain, I looked for a death in the previous ten years, and found Margaret's burial in 1843. FreeBMD provided me with his second marriage, Bolton, 1847, to Mary Heyes.
    In 1861, census again, James was living in Bolton with his son-in-law's family and described as married, but without his wife.

My breakthrough is in the record of his second marriage, on the LancsOPC site, where he is described as illegitimate, and the first puzzle is where to look next, as there are no illegitimate Gleave(s), Glave births/baptisms in the Atherton or any other area of Lancashire any time round 1807; all I have come up with is Peter Gleve to Betty, Warrington, 1810, and an Order for filiation etc. in 1816; neither of which seem likely.
    The other puzzle is what happened to Mary Gleaves after she married James; where was she in 1861, and should I look for a third marriage after James died in 1865? After all, there's a family myth that a pub in Bolton was left away from the family as the result of a remarriage. I have some 'evidence' - a brass snuffbox that 'used to stand on the (pub's) mantelpiece'.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Wiganexile..
    In 1861 Mary Gleaves was at her son's...William Heyes.. She is down as married, born in Leigh, Lancashire, age, 49 and married.

Perhaps the Gleaves were just visiting respective families at the time.?
    Household schedule # 93
    Piece 2827 Folio 10 page 16

Sue

Famous for offering help & advice

There is a marriage of Mary Gleaves, last qtr of 1868 in Bolton. Husband either Henry Crossley or William Hampson.

I haven't found any likely candidates for either name in the 1871 census

Sue

Wiganexile

From LancsBMD, Mary married William Hampson at Holy Trinity, Bolton, in 1868. Thanks again.
    And could you give me Mary's son's address as I don't have access to the Census.

Wiganexile

Oops! Lan-OPC has the marriage, and it's the wrong Mary Gleaves - unless she has shed several decades.

Knowledgeable and helpful

1871 RG10; Piece: 3938; Folio: 122; Page: 45
    Mary ( transcribed Claw by A*) is still living with her son William & his family at 22 Monk Ct, Bolton, still a widow. The name in the original image does look more like Cleaves than Gleaves

Knowledgeable and helpful

There is a possible death 1878 registered at West Derby RD ( Vol8b P 435) of a Mary Gleaves age 63 not exactly the right age and not Bolton but might be worth checking for a burial.