Kurtson

Default HI, Fredrik here

I'm from Sweden, living in the Stockholm archapelago.

My mother moved to sweden in the 1950's and therefore I'm here.

I've been doing genalogy back and forth since I was 18, now 43, I'we got a bit further back.
    On the swedish lines I reached as far back as the year ~1000
    On the english/welsh/scottish/irish lines I'm back at ~1796

All aunties and my mother say we belong to the Gunn clan, I try to rerach back for some evidence

Private I'n now work as a selesman in a construction/woodcraft store, but I've worked mostly my life with telecom. as a purchaser at a factory for cellular networks products. also as a photogrtapher, it-expert

I'm married, father of four (2 of each sort)
    Have a lot of hobbies.

questions? just ask!

Hello Fredrik and welcome to Brit-Gen

Great to have someone on board who has experience of researching from and in Sweden.

It seems the genealogy bug bit you at quite a young age. The majority of us say we wish we had started earlier but of course we didn't know we were going to get so obsessed with our ancestors.

Take a look around the forums and if you want to ask some questions about the Gunns pick the forum you think it belongs in and we'll see if we can help you.

Christanel

Kurtson

I do and I gladly help with what I can in swedish searching, I do know how it works! It's been more controlled than a census every now and then. Here they started to keep track of every citizen from ~1370 and by 1410 they HAD controll of everybody from year to year. very nice while searching now.
    Heard the other day that approx 8000 Scottish people moved to sweden during 1600-1700, while working as hired soldiers. some moved back, but a lot of them stayed and some groups here are trying to find them, but many changed their names. But since so many people in uk heritage from scandinavia from the vikings, maybe its more like moving home again... :-)

Hi Fredrik
    My wife's family did things the other way around, her mother married an Englishman and moved over here! She came from Malung originally but worked as a pharmacist in Stockholm (down near Slussen) before she married. We've been to Sweden many times now and both of us consider it to be our spiritual home ( I have no Swedish ancestry but have been completely overwhelmed by how warm and friendly the Swedes are).

We've found it much easier to trace the Swedish side of the family and are back to around 1400 so far.

Good luck with tracking the British side of your family, this forum is definitely the right place to look as I've found the amount of help I've had to be amazing.