Thread: Emigration

msbjsmith

Smile Emigration

Could you please check 'Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa 1857-1867' by Esme Bull for STEPHEN SMITHplus any other Smiths that may have emigrated. A Stephen Smith (English) from South Africa is my great great grandfather who settled in Wellington, South Africa.
    Thanks, Bev Smith

thewideeyedowl

Default Places to look

Hi Bev

Though I cannot answer the question as asked, I can suggest a few places to look. As you will know, 'Smith' is not an easy name to research! However, ...

First go to Genuki and check out their page on emigration sources: https://www.Genuki.org.uk/big/Emigration.html.The National Archives have some excellent pages of Research Guidance. Go to: https://www.discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk, which brings up the catalogue, and then navigate to the relevant Research Guide. Under 'Looking for a person' I found the sub-section Migrants, Passengers and Refugees, and then you can navigate to Emigrants. (You will not find lists of names. Sorry.)

It sounds as if your ancestor Stephen Smith possibly left England under an Assisted Emigration scheme - these peaked in the 1840s and 1850s. They were used to 'encourage' the poor to move abroad, because the Poor Law Unions found them costly to keep - that's very blunt, but it is what it amounts to. You can find insight into emigration, particularly child emigration, here, on Peter Higginbotham's magisterial website about workhouses: https://www.workhouses.org.uk/emigration/.

I am afraid that I do not know the book you cited (but that's because I haven't - as yet - found any emigrant/immigrant ancestors. Only a matter of time, though?)

Hopefully, the links will work - forgive me if they don't and try again with slightly differently punctuated version. (Am posting from a tablet, which has a will of it's own when it comes to links...sorry.)

Good luck with your research

The Wideeyed Owl

Welcome to Brit-Gen msbjsmith, having another Aussie on board is great.

Do you know this web site with over half a million photos of gravestones in South Africa and this one is for Stephen Smith 1828 - 1873
    HERE

I think that Sue Mackay, one of our Super Mods, has the book that you are asking about but as she is on holiday at the moment she is only popping in for brief visits. When she returns home she may be able to help you.

Christanel

Hi Bev

Am now back from holiday and have had a chance to look in Esme Bull's book for you. There is a Stephen SMITH listed, sadly no age or place of origin given, who was a bricklayer, and sailed on the New Great Britain, which left Plymouth on 24 March 1859 and arrived in Port Elizabeth on 28 May.

As for other Smiths, there are pages of them! If you send me a private message (click on my user name) with your e-mail address then I can send you a scan, as there are far too many to type out here.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids