Wilkes_ml

Default LAC(E)Y - LEACY? Fresh pair of eyes please!

I've re-visited my Lac(e)y ancestors who lived in Kensington London/Middlesex in the early 1800s

John LACY married Roseanna DOUGLAS 27th September 1801 at Christchurch Spitalfields. (witness was Alexander Douglas)

I already know that Rose Anna DOUGLAS was born 31st December 1783 and baptised 8th February 1784 at St. Katherine Coleman d. of Alexander and Susannah DOUGLAS

Now John LAC(E)Y and Rose Ann(a/e)/Roasanna(h) have children baptised at St. Mary Abbots, Kensington

Richard (1809)
    Lucy (1813)
    Stephen (1815)
    John Francis (1817)
    Lavinia Lucy (1819)
    Charles Robert (1822)

and at St James Piccadilly

Caroline (1811)

So I was curious about the gap between marriage in 1801 and first child baptised at St. Mary Abbots in 1809, and taking my own advice of looking into various spelling alternatives just searched St. Mary Abbotts for parents John and Ros*

and got Mary Ann & Elizabeth LEARY in the index...looking at the original it looks more like Mary Ann d. of John and Rose Ann LEACY b. 16 Dec 1803 c. 8th July 1807
    and Elizabeth d. of John and Rose Ann LEACY b. 21st January 1807 and c. 8th July 1807.

Could these be my Lacys?? Could some kind soul with access to ancestry double check these entries for me please, and confirm that they look more like LEACY than LEARY before I send Ancestry a correction?

Many thanks!

I'm also still trying to find a few more missing baptisms and also Johns death proves elusive...all his children were buried at St. Luke's Chelsea, so that is where I would expect him to be buried prior to September 1831 when his widow remarries to William Oliver at Lambeth St. Mary.

pennydog

I would say Leacy - looking at the 'r' in Mary and in Robert Warren on the next line there is a definite straight line in the 'r', which is not present in leacy.

Wilkes_ml

Thanks..I also double checked that there were no more baptisms to a John & Rosanna Leary or Leacy, so I'm pretty certain these are the first two children born to John & Rosanna Lacy. It would have helped if the father's occupation had been recorded then, just to add a bit more certainty.