Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Almost pure blind luck

Having reached a bit of an impasse with my Cousins family (and the 9 million name variations thereof) I decided to have a look at the Old Newspapers on line at the National Library of Wales and in particular the family notices and came across the following dated 16 Sept 1859:

On the 10th inst., at Freystrop Church, by the Rev Mr Brigstocke, Mr Thomas Morris, to Miss Cousins, the eldest daughter of Mr Cousins, farmer, of Targate, in this county.

Now Freystrop is a place of interest for me, and although I have yet to find it, I think that somewhere there must be a link with the Cousins farming at Targate.

But then I thought I don't recall see any Cousins / Morris marriages in my list from the Freystrop Parish registers available at a well known site.

So I check the civil registration index using the Groom's name (there being less variations to worry about), and there it was to an Elizabeth Cousins. So as the newspaper talks about the "church" (i.e. not a chapel), I thought I would search the parish records again using the Groom, and up it pops.

But when you look at the transcript it has Elizabeth Cowins.

So I looked at the scan of the original to find that the priest (Mr Brigstocke, I presume) had written Cozens, whilst the bride and her two witnesses who were both family members had signed Cousins.

No I ask you dealing with 21st century transcription errors is something we have all come to endure, but dealing with those combined with 19th century ones is really taking the mickey a bit too much.

I think I need a lie down and a quick slurp of something fortifying!!

David Benson

Congratulations on knocking down another wall.

Dizzy600

Gives us all hope!! Well done...

Karen

Sometimes, just sometimes I wonder if our ancestors are looking at us and laughing their socks off as we struggle to make sense of the twists and turns they put us through.

I am darned sure we don't learn anything until they think we have earned it.

Well done for a great piece of detection, you give all of us hope
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

A good job you didn't partake of the 'slurp of something fortifying' before you started on that quest Megan.

Great result.

Christanel

Megan,
    If you haven't already done so, have a look at "Potter's Electric News, 14 Sep 1859" (Welsh newspapers on line) to see what Phillip (Elizabeth's father, Targate Farm?) was selling at auction on the 15th Sep to pay for Elizabeth's big day only 5 days earlier!

Brick wall demolition expert!

Thank you for every one's kind words, but it was more luck than judgement - ......now all I need to do is to link my lot to them!

Famous for offering help & advice

Sue

Quote Originally Posted by susan-y View Post

Sue
    Am reading this on the iPad in Switzerland and have been slurping the local brew in celebration. You deserve your good luck because of all the help you give our members.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Well found Megan.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.