Annamarie

Default South Africa Immigration

A cousin Richard Stotter travelled to South Africa sometime between 1861 and 1862. Richard married Mary Ann Ellis in London in 1861 in London. They had a son William born in South Africa in 1862. The family returned to England where William was baptised in 1866.

I'm wondering whether Richard is mentioned in "Aided immigration from Britain to South Africa 1857 to 1867"by Esme Bull. (With thanks to recent poster who mentioned this resource.)

Richard may have travelled with or after other members of the Webb or Stotter family.

Many thanks for any assistance. This is the first time I have been researching South Africa and had no idea where to start.

Sorry, no Stotter listed. The book only lists assisted passages, and very few of those who went returned to the UK as they simply couldn't afford to. Many sailed to the Cape on business or with the military, and many children were born at the Cape when their parents were actually resident in India.

There are plenty of Webbs at the Cape. There were Webbs amongst the 1820 settlers and a further seven (only one with a family) listed in Esme Bull. Let me have details of which Webbs you are looking for.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Annamarie

Thank you Sue, Richard was a bailiff in 1861 and worked as a gardener when he returned to England. The family didn't appear to have a great deal of money so I was very surprised when I found the reference to South Africa.

I am researching George Francis Webbb. b 1849, William Webb b. 1832 and Henry Thomas Webb b 1847 in Lambeth Surrey,

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie View Post
    I am researching George Francis Webb. b 1849, William Webb b. 1832 and Henry Thomas Webb b 1847 in Lambeth Surrey,
    None of those seem to match the Webbs found in Esme Bull's listing. There isn't a Henry, the only William was 42 with a wife and eight children, and the only George was 25 when he sailed in 1860 to work for the Pickering Railway.

If they stayed in South Africa it is worth putting a search into eggsa every so often as new graveyard inscriptions and newspaper extracts are being added almost daily.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids