obdavies

Default Michael Conley (Coleman) has disappeared

I'm seeking records for Michael Conley born on the 16th October 1884 at number 4 Stansfield Street, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire. He is recorded in the BMD as Michael Conley Coleman but registered at birth as Michael Conley. The Birth was not registered until the 1st December 1884 and the parents, Robert Conley (1863-1930) and Catherine Coleman (1866-1886) married shortly afterwards on the 15th December 1884 in St Marys Cathedral, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire, England.

I have identified Michael in the 1891 census (Class: RG12; Piece: 4013; Folio 86; Page 25; GSU roll: 6099123) living with his grandparents, Richard and Margaret Coleman after his mother's death 5 years earlier. His father, Robert Conley having remarried in 1889.

I think I have him in the 1901 census (Class: RG13; Piece: 4593; Folio: 30; Page: 6) working as a servant in East Rounton (near Stokesley) for the Atkinson family.

After that he seems to disapear. He's not in the death index up to 1916 nor in the later index and I can find no evidence of emmigration or a war record (given his ideal age) or subsequent marriage.

The only possibility I have come up with in 1911 is a Michael Conley born 1884 living at 121 Westgate, Dewsbury, Yorjkshire which seems to be a large Boarding House (Class: RG14; Piece: 27298). However no place of birth is supplied and I can see no reason for him being in Dewsbury.

I have his birth certificate and both of his father's marriage certificates and his mother's death certificate but none are useful in tracing Michael and any of Michael's decendants would be family.

Can anyone help?

Owen

Wilkes_ml

Is it possible that Michael's grandparents returned to Ireland and took Michael with them? have you followed the grandparents through the census to see what happened to them?

obdavies

Thanks for the suggestion but the grandparents can be tracked through the census up to 1891 and both died in 1893 still in Middlesbrough.

Owen

Loves to help with queries

you say he was registered at birth as CONLEY but his birth was registered Dec quarter 1884 Middlesbro as Michael Conley COLEMAN. Have you considered that he may have needed to use his legal name COLEMAN...for the army or to get married?

Sue

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
    you say he was registered at birth as CONLEY but his birth was registered Dec quarter 1884 Middlesbro as Michael Conley COLEMAN. Have you considered that he may have needed to use his legal name COLEMAN...for the army or to get married?

Sue
    I did wonder the same thing, but I did a general search on all Michaels born 1884 middles*, yorks (+/- 5 years either side) and could find no-one matching with either surnames..one possible Michael Coleman I could trace back to having a father Patrick (also born Ireland), so possibly related. I'm stumped on this one!

Wilkes_ml

I think that is likely to be him at Rounton in 1901, again using the surname Conley but enumerated as Michel. It wasn't uncommon for young single adults to travel around farming communities for work, so he could died anywhere after 1901.

Wilkes_ml

I also looked for his death under CONNOLY, but still couldn't find him

obdavies

Yes, I've tried Conley, Connelly, Conolly, every combination I can think of but I can't even trace him in 1911 never mind subsequently.

Owen