Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mfwebb

I changed to New Search some while ago and now use it by default. I didn't like it at first but now I've got used to it I rarely go back to Old Search. I took the view that Ancestry will get rid of Old Search sooner or later with no regard to what we want (they will have their resaons no doubt) so I determined to get used to New Search as I wish to continue using Ancestry, if only for the West Yorkshire Parish Records.

All the best,
    Malcolm Webb
    Lincoln UK

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I'll just be glad when they get it all ironed out. The whole site has been a pain for months now.

'Please try again later'..........what a b***y annoying message all the time.

mfwebb

Quote Originally Posted by stepives View Post
    I'll just be glad when they get it all ironed out. The whole site has been a pain for months now.

'Please try again later'..........what a b***y annoying message all the time.
    I visit Ancestry on a daily basis and I've never had that message.

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

I will admit that message hasn't appeared since Tuesday.......so hopefully it's a thing of the past.

Famous for offering help & advice

Interesting.
    Searching the 1911 census on the new search:
    Mary. Born Stockport. Born 1876 +/- 2years. zero results.
    So dropped year out. zero results.

Old search:
    Mary, born Stockport, 1876 +/- 2 years. 87 results.
    Could someone explain the differences in results please?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch in Notts View Post
    I think for those of us who use the old search the biggest objection is the way the results are presented.
    In old search they instantly come up in 'catogories'.
    In new search they come up as individual 'records' that look a mess compared to the old search. It is necessary to swop to 'catogories' to get anything close to the old presentation of results (and I bet some users of oldsearch don't realise they need to do this in the new search to get the presentation they want).
    Also the categories are not the same in the two searches and some records appear in more than one category in the new search.

Should be fun getting used to new search when they scrap the old one. Now where is my special offer for a FMP subscription....
    In the last day or so this banner has appeared at the top of the old search page on ancestry
    Update: We’re adding several features from old search to the current search experience (exact search options and a default category view of results).

I haven't investigated any further as yet.

Christanel

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

It is possible to change your settings to mimic some of the features of the 'old search. The link from the banner explains how to do it. I haven't tried it out yet as I will be using the old search until they pull it.

Wilkes_ml

I'm not sure what they did yesterday, but the image viewer stopped working on Chrome, so I'm now having to jump between different browsers. I also saw the update sign, so something must be imminent. I'm sure once the old search facility has gone, we will get used to the new one as we won't have much choice! Till then, we will just have to make the most of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12