Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Scotlands People query

Can anyone tell me why when I search in Ancestry.co.uk I can see information on the 1891 Census but it is not showing up in Scotland's people. I would like to confirm that certain members of the family are daughters and not granddaughters.
    Ancestry does not give me as much detail as Scotland's People normally does.

Thanks, I am pretty new to this.

hello GlesgaSmiles
    would you like to give us the details of the family you are looking for so we can see exactly what is happening?
    I went on to ancestry and entered Richard Smith (as a test name) in Scotland. There were quite a few in 1891 and I found one with a large family. For this test family the relationship to the head of the house is the fourth line down. This isn't happening for your family and doesn't explain why you can't find them at all on the ScotlandsPeople unless there is a mistranscription of the name.

Hallo GlesgaSmiles (I was brought up in Glasgow ) and welcome to B-G. You originally posted this in the Introduce Yourself forum, which is really just for introductions. As this is more of a query, I have moved it to the Scotland forum.

As christanel says, let us have the 1891 details you have and maybe someone can help you track them down on SP
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful stepives's Avatar

To answer your question, the census page may have been missed by Scotlands People, or transcribed differently/wrongly.

Steve.

Wow, thanks to all for such a speedy reply. The family I am looking at is the family of Robert Wilson born about 1849/50 wife is Janet M Wilson (nee Meikle) married 27 March 1868 pretty large family in total. When I searched Ancestry.co.uk 1881 Census I found them with 8 children, one of whom was Jessie Wilson aged 9 (this is my great-grandmother) when I searched Scotland's people for the same information I got 4 matches but none of them the correct family. I then searched Scotland's people using the 1881(LDS) and found the addition information I was seeking, but as you will appreciate not the actual copy of the Census sheet. I then moved on to the 1891 Census as I have information on the family again from Ancestry.co.uk and there are more children one of whom is named Janet Wilson aged 2. My main quest here was to find out if this Janet Wilson was in fact a daughter of Robert and Janet or in fact a grand-daughter as the original Jessie (the 9 year old in 1881) was also called Janet and she had a daughter in 1889 when she was 18. My search in the 1891 Scotland's people gave me 9 possibles but none of them are this family. I kept thinking I was missing something but have rechecked and still get the same result. The district is Larkhall and Dalserf is the parish. Robert Wilson was a coal miner. Once again thanks.

Thank you Sue, as I say I am pretty new to all of this, although I have always had an interest, my sister who was pretty much housebound for some years was the one doing most of the research, since she passed away I have taken over, getting there slowly but surely. I just found this site yesterday while searching for some answers so thought I may as well ask the experts for help . I too was born and brought up in Glasgow but now live in New Zealand.

Is this the one you are looking at GlesgaSmiles? From ancestry - it has Janet age 2 as granddaughter.
    24 High Pleasance Dalserf
    Robert Wilson 41
    Jenet M Wilson 44
    Nellie Wilson 14 dau
    Katie Wilson 12 dau
    Jeanie Wilson 10 dau
    Robert Wilson 8 son
    James Wilson 6 son
    Jane Wilson 5 dau
    Tom Wilson 3 son
    Janet Wilson 2 granddaughter born Larkhall

jac65

Hi

One of the tricks when searching for a family on a Scotlandspeople census is to pick, where possible, the family member with the least common name. Using the information posted by christanel for the 1891 census I looked on Ancestry for a Tom Wilson age 3 and there is only 1 in the whole of Scotland. I then searched the 1891 census on Scotlandspeople for Tom Wilson, age Range 3 to 3, and there was only 1 match for the whole of Scotland, to check it further I then searched for Tom in County, Lanarkshire and District, Dalserf. Once again there was only 1 match and that should be your family interest. Curiously entering the District as Larkhall also brings up the 1 match.

Ancestry has transcribed the mother as Jenet M Wilson, Familysearch.org has also transcribed her as Jenet M Wilson and a Scotlandspeople also seems to have done so.

Andy

Thank you christanel, that is the one exactly, did you find it in Scotland's people? if so what did I do wrong? I was 99% sure that Janet Wilson 2 would be a grand daughter which was what I wanted. Now I need to find out where her mother went between 1891 and when she married Alexander Brownlee on 2nd January 1914. I found her in 1891 as a 19 year old as a domestic servant but as she did not have a child with her I expected the child to be with the grand parents which you have confirmed for me.

Thanks Andy, is that why I could not find them either in the 1881 or 1891 census because I was spelling Janet with an A?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast