Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    jac65

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaSmiles View Post
    Thanks Andy, is that why I could not find them either in the 1881 or 1891 census because I was spelling Janet with an A?
    Certainly that is the case for 1891 but the 1881 census does appear to have the mother as Janet M Wilson.

I'm not sure why you haven't found Jessie Wilson age 9 in the 1881 census on Scotlandspeople, Ancestry has four Jessie Wilson in Dalserf including your Jessie, the 1881 census on Scotlandspeople also has four Jessie Wilson in Dalserf and one of them is age 9. I haven't looked at the image but this should be yours.

Andy

Once again, thank you Andy, I did find Jessie Wilson aged 9 in the Census in Ancestry and also in the 1881 (LDS) in Scotlands people, I think I must be doing something wrong when searching Scotlands People, but I thank you for taking the time to look for me, I am definitely now on the right track though since the confirmation of the 2 year old Janet Wilson being the granddaughter as I had hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by GlesgaSmiles View Post
    Thank you christanel, that is the one exactly, did you find it in Scotland's people? if so what did I do wrong? I was 99% sure that Janet Wilson 2 would be a grand daughter which was what I wanted. Now I need to find out where her mother went between 1891 and when she married Alexander Brownlee on 2nd January 1914. I found her in 1891 as a 19 year old as a domestic servant but as she did not have a child with her I expected the child to be with the grand parents which you have confirmed for me.
    Hi
    no I found it only on ancestry. I woke at 4:3O this morning and realised that I had missed telling you about the Scottish records on there.
    When you are on the transcription page, the person you searched for comes up with all their details, then move down to the list of all people in the household. Click on the one you want to know about and all their details will come up as the main person (as if they were the one you searched for).
    Also when searching on ancestry you can get creative with the wildcard sign eg J*n*t. Jess* Henr* (will bring up Henry and Henrietta in various spellings. Thompson as Thom*son then you get both.
    Christanel

Once again thank you very much. Funny how this searching for our roots gets to you eh! Even though I know a lot about my grandmother and my great grandmother I want to know more. I knew both of these ladies even though I was very young when my Granny Brownlie died I do remember her. I also remember the fact that my mother always talked about her "Uncle" who was in fact younger than her, he is Thomas Brownlie born April 26 1915 . My mother was born 9 March 1908. I just find it difficult to accept that my Granny Brownlie (as I knew her) only ever had two children and they were 24 years apart.

When you set up a search on SP, look at the choices you can make about spellings, etc (the little arrows at the side of the box). You can search on exact, phonetic and other sorts of spellings. You can set the forenames to just a name, or to "names beginning with". The latter, if given "Kermit" would give you everyone just called Kermit or those with more than one forename - Kermit Rowf, Kermis Piegie, etc. For something like Janet/Jenet you can use a wildcard - J?n*t would give you Janet, Jennet, etc. The ? means any single letter (SP will also accept _ instead of ?), the * means any collection of unknown letters. Careful with the * as they can return large numbers of hits.

I've put a sticky message about the quirks of SP at the top of this forum.
    Last edited by Lesley Robertson; 30-10-2013 at 9:18 PM. Reason: Correction of single wildcard symbol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12