len gooby

Default 1860 paddington london police station

hi everyone,
    I'm looking for information on an officer and police station in Paddington area of London in the 1860.
    his name was Joseph Paine, and is recorded on his wedding certificate as living at police station woodfield road.
    on 1861 census still recorded as policeman living in porchester terrace Paddington.
    I cant find anything about woodfield station road, so have no idea what division he was in so I can research records.
    he died in 1866 in George street Greenwich which also has me wondering whether he transferred

any ideas

thanks in advance

The national Archives site here may give you some ideas on where to look and which records have survived.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Remember that deaths are recorded where they occurred. He may have been on duty in Greenwich, visiting some-one or just passing by.
    I tried electoral registers for that time bu those early years are not in the index.
    Were there any family members in that area?

A google finds this: they may still offer some answers.

https://www.met.police.uk/history/records.htm

Staff Records

Metropolitan Police records have not all survived since 1829 but some are available at the National Archives in Kew www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

they may still offer some answers.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

pippycat

Following on from Wendy's reply,

The National Archives have "Register of local Constables sworn to act within Metropolitan Police" 13 May 1851 - 4 July 1865.
    Its under Discover our Collections: MEPO 4/4 - you can either download or read this online for free!

I didn't spot Joseph Paine in the one's I waded through, but came across:
    Philip Thornton Paine 25 June 1856
    Sworn in as Constable for: Strand Union Workhouse, Cleveland Street, Parish of St Pancras, Middx.
    Application by whom made and at who's expense: The Guardians of the Poor of said workhouse.
    The Division making the enquiry: F Division (think that's Kensington)

- close to where Joseph was, a relative maybe? - but possibly nothing at all!

Just one thing to bear in mind: The City of London Police was a separate Force from the Metropolitan Police....or there is even the Transport Police.

Do you have anything else at all on Joseph which might help trace him?

Reputation beyond repute

If you've read the research guide mentioned by Christanel you will have seen that you don't need to know the division before starting research.

Since you know the date of death (presumably you mean that he died in harness), a good place to start research might be MEPO 4/2 (Return of deaths in the Metropolitan Police Force). You can do this in person at the National Archives.