Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yeates

Default Ancestry's new screen limitations

I rely on our public library to use ancestry. This week, at the library, I found a new screen on ancestry. In their 'old' screen, I was able to find a record within a census. From that record, I could scroll forward or backward through the enumeration district (i.e. village or neighborhood.) This proved invaluable to answer or suggest clues to my genealogical brick walls---finding how relatives lived in relation to each other's streets; visiting relatives; children in-service in a nearby household; etc.
    The 'new' screen seems to have done away with this most valuable feature. Has anyone else encountered this or found a way around it?
    ---Yeates

I only ever use old search. It is so much better in so many ways.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Yeates

Sue---I didn't notice "old search" as an option. Could you describe where on the home page this option is listed? Thank you.---Yeates

Click on the search tab along the top. Then look in the top right hand corner, more or less under where it says Get Help. Mine says "Go to New Search", because I have my system set up to use the old search. If you are on the new search it should say "Go to Old Search" Every so often they do an upgrade and I have to reset it to old search - I dread the day when this will no longer be an option.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Reputation beyond repute

I'm told that "old search" is not available as an option on the Library Edition.

Yeates

Thank you, Peter. Yes, this is what I was afraid of. While I appreciated Sue's reply, I scrutinized that screen yesterday for such an option and finally gave up. I am sure "they" are not going to accomodate a non-subscriber, although I was hoping the library as subscriber carried some kind of weight. Such is change....such is life---Yeates

junedye64

You can still scroll through the pages of a census.

I think the arrows and numbers of pages used to be on the right hand corner of the screen but now they are in the middle.

June

Knowledgeable and helpful

is it the old or new search you are talking about or the new image viewer................
    the new image viewer will soon be the only viewer so we wont have a choice
    problem I find with the new viewer is it doesnt seem to have the option to look at
    either image only or view all...............the view all gave you other people who had used
    image and meant you could look at tree and I have had a few contacts through this.

Yeates

Thank you Sandie & June, but I think Peter is correct about the library versions are 'abridged', so to speak. Based on your replies, it seems you may have a personal subscription to said site. Sandie, I do believe it is the image viewer I had the problem with yesterday as that is where I used to be able to scroll through the entire enumeration district. Yesterday, I was able to find an option that gave the text of all other households on the SAME record page, but (I could be blind...) I saw NO option and nothing I tried that was visible would take me further than the record page of the person I searched for. June, my next visit to the library I will again make sure such options are not in the center---but I am not hopeful as I would have noticed that yesterday. I'll try again, though.----Yeates

Annamarie

The old viewer is available at the moment if you go to 'Image Tools' and select 'Switch to Basic Viewer.' This enables you to scroll through.

This is probably a redundant comment, pipped by your previous post. Wish it was possible to delete posts!!
    Last edited by Annamarie; 05-06-2013 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Post!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast