annabel

Default Gely of Devonport

Have I got the right name?
    Elizabeth Ward, a widow, married William Linn in Bermondsey in 1840
    Her father was transcribed as Peter Gaby, working at the dockhead, but having got nowhere with this name, I looked again and I think the name is Gely

From subsequent censuses, she was born in Devonport about 1811

I know she previously married James Ward, presumably before 1828 when their first child was born
    The only marriage with those names I can find was in 1817- a bit early

The only Peter Gely is in Lympstone, Devon in 1788 on an apprentice indenture list as a cordwainer

I cannot find any more mentions of a Peter, or 1st marriage or baptism for Elizabeth, so is there a way I find out more of Peter and James Ward with this sparse info?

Nicolina

there was a marriage between Peter GELY and Mary Ash FURSEY (or HURSEY) in Oct 1796 in Stoke Damerel. Also a burial 26th Jan 1815 of a 40 year old Peter of Blackman Street, Southwark

annabel

Thank you, they sound interesting.
    Googling Stoke Damerel it was in the parish of Devonport. But I cant find the marriage. I wonder if you are you an Anc*? They have that death transcribed as Gily although looking at it, it is probably Gely. On Elizabeth's marriage to William Linn, it does say he is dead by then.
    Perhaps there might be a birth of an Elizabeth in Stoke Damerel to link them

Nicolina

I found the marriage on FMP. I did check for Elizabeth's birth but nothing showed up.

DOB7

I have Stoke Damerel baptisms and show that Peter & Mary GELY baptised 6 children there: 14 Nov 1802 George Fursey GELY; 5 Aug 1804 John (born 2 July 1804); John 31 May 1807 (born 16 May 1807) and 4 Sep 1808 Thomas (born 14 Aug 1808). A daughter Jane looks as though her surname was GABY, - she was baptised 16 Feb 1806. HOWEVER, they did have a daughter Elizabeth baptised there 22 July 1798. If Elizabeth & James WARD's first child was born in 1828, a birth of 1811 for her seems unlikely.
    Peter GELY aged 40 was buried 26 Jan 1815 at St George's Southwark, so born ca 1774, which matches a marriage in 1796.
    The1851 census shows Elizabeth to be 42, so born ca 1808/9 and 4 years older than her husband William. Could she have shaved a few years off her age? The 1841 suggests 1811 birth, but ages were rounded down to the nearest 5 years for that census.

Nicolina

a possible death for John GELY born 16 May 1807, buried Stoke Damerel 13th June 1808, aged 1.
    There is a confusing burial for Jane GELY in Stoke Damerel, birth year is transcribed as 1801 BUT she was supposedly buried 1st Sept. 1801 aged 9. ??? Maybe she was buried in 1810 which would fit with Peter's daughter.
    There were other GELYs in Devon back to Magd GELY marrying Andrew COOPER in 1728, in Clyst Honiton. A possible lead as to where they originated.