truey52

Default The ship Eleanor to Australia 1841.

Richard Elphick and his wife Bathsheba (Friend) and their 2 sons, Charles aged 5 and William aged 18mths (became my gt gt grandfather), all from Hawkhurst, Kent travelled to Aus aboard the Eleanor. Richard died at sea. The Eleanor left Cork 18 April 1841 and arrived in Botany Bay 21 August 1841.According to newspaper reports, she had been in " a heavy gale in the Bay of Biscay, which lasted many days". A case of fever was noticed while the hatches were battened down during the gale. "there were 80 cases, with 6 adults and 7 children dying" The Eleanor was put into quarantine on arrival at Botany Bay, "fearing any fresh cases might make their appearance"
    Questions:1. Would there be a death registration for Richard and where would it likely be located? ( I have never found one in Aus indexes).
    2. Where would the family have gone aboard the ship? given that they were from Kent.

I have a brief report from a book called "Wooden Hookers" that gives some detail of the gale and the fever, and conditions aboard the ship.
    I am wondering how to find out if there was a ships log or surgeons' log. I have only ever seen mention of this family on shipping list.
    Thanks.

spison

Hi Truey52,
    I have seen some Surgeon's reports for immigrant ships held within the Colonial Secretary's letters. The few that I looked at were pretty basic and mainly statistics only. There are microfiche indexes for the Colonial Secretary for this period but as far as I know they are only held at NSW state records at Kingswood. I think that one of the NSW BDM transcribers offers a Kingswood search (Laurie Turtle?) so you might have to contact them.

I can't help with whether there would be any record of the death. Could Bathsheba have returned to the UK and chosen never to disembark or stay long in Sydney? It would have been tough then without a husband.

Good luck
    Jane

truey52

Hi Jane, thanks for replying. Bathsheba remained in Aus, she went on to marry Thomas Mead Weller, also from Hawkhurst, and had another whole family, I have been in contact with some of those descendants, but have sadly lost contact with them. Also aboard the Eleanor were Bathsheba's sister Rebecca Woodgate with her husband Francis. Presumably, Bathsheba would have needed some proof of being a widow before she married Thomas Mead Weller. Thanks, regards Shirl.

Hugh Thompson

Hi Shirl and Jane, Shirl, what evidence do you have that Richard died on the voyage, as there is a death entry for a Richard Elphick in the NSW BDM's for 1859 aged 44 years, or is he some relation?
    Regards. Hugh.

truey52

Hello Hugh, The evidence I have that Richard died at sea is on the the arrivals into Australia, stating Richard Elphick (died on board)
    Bathsheba Elphick aged 26, occupation is given as a cook and their 2 sons, also that Bathsheba could read and write and that both her parents were still living with their names given. The Richard mentioned in the 1859 NSW BDM's is maybe some relative but I don't know for sure, I have seen that entry too. My Richard was born ca. 1816 and would have been about 25 when he died.
    Regards, Shirl.