Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Army Pensioner

Londonwhay

Default Army Pensioner

I have a birth certificate, 1922, where the father's occupation is given as Army Pensioner. It seems fairly obvious that this relates to WW1, but there are no surviving relatives who would remember more details. How would I find out more?

Glenda

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Londonwhay
    I have a birth certificate, 1922, where the father's occupation is given as Army Pensioner. It seems fairly obvious that this relates to WW1, but there are no surviving relatives who would remember more details. How would I find out more?
    Glenda
    I'd suggest the first place to try might be the National Archives, Documents online - look under WW1 Campaign Medals.
    https://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    I believe that surnames up to and including those beginning with 'T' have been added to the site so far. The medal roll will give you a name, rank, regiment/corps - it's a start.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Londonwhay

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I'd suggest the first place to try might be the National Archives, Documents online - look under WW1 Campaign Medals.
    https://www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
    I believe that surnames up to and including those beginning with 'T' have been added to the site so far. The medal roll will give you a name, rank, regiment/corps - it's a start.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    Oh dear, the surname is VINE Guess I'll have to wait until they reach the V's

Thanks anyway Geoffers

Glenda

Geoffers

If you're near to Kew, you can always search the medal rolls in person at TNA.

Other alternatives at TNA are to hope that his service record (in WO97) wasn't one of the many destroyed by enemy action in WW2 - or if he was discharged to long service pension before 1920, to look in WO116 (but I think these are arranged by date of discharge rather than name).

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Guy Etchells

It makes things difficult when people don't give details ;-))
    Anyway there is a E.L. Vine, 8 Tramway Avenue, Lower Edmonton mentioned in section 3 Part 1 of The National Roll of the Great War.
    Also a F.A. Vine, 176 Robertson Street, Wandsworth road S.W.8 mentioned in section 7 of The National Roll of the Great War
    Both available from Archive CD Books
    Its a long shot but who knows.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2007 at 5:26 PM.

Geoffers

Default One other idea to try

Quote Originally Posted by Londonwhay
    Glenda
    I forgot to mention, and just in passing.............

If he had other children born prior to 1922, whilst still in the army. You may find certificates for them in:

Indexes to Regimental Registers of Births (1761-1924) - these relate to events at home and abroad.

Indexes to Army Returns of Births, and Marriages, and Deaths (1881-1955) - these are all events which occurred abroad.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Londonwhay

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Etchells
    It makes things difficult when people don't give details ;-))
    Anyway there is a E.L. Vine, 8 Tramway Avenue, Lower Edmonton mentioned in section 3 Part 1 of The National Roll of the Great War.
    Also a F.A. Vine, 176 Robertson Street, Wandsworth road S.W.8 mentioned in section 7 of The National Roll of the Great War
    Both available from Archive CD Books
    Its a long shot but who knows.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Thanks Guy,

this was a George VINE, and his location was probably Essex. I'll have to do what Geoffers suggests and take a trip to Kew sometime.

Glenda
    Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2007 at 5:26 PM.

Linda Bailey

Exclamation

Thank you Geoffers - I never knew about this - I have now managed to find at least one of my relatives.

Now to understand the image!!!

McIvor James
    RScFus (Royal Scots Fusiliers) Pte 19628
    Lab Corps? Pte 176254

Medal
    Victory - Supp * £6/10 2 B10 Page 998
    British - do do
    15 Star - L 6/2/ Cm/138/1

Remarks
    BEF 25 2 19?

Theatre of War first served in (1) France
    Date of entry therein 13.9.15

I knew the bit about the Royal Scots Fusiliers and his number and he was certainly in France. That he was in hospital in London in Jan 1917. I don't think he returned to France after that.
    Does this mean that he only joined the Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1915? I don't know his date of birth but his sister was born in 1858 so he wouldn't have been young.

Why does he seem to have two different service numbers?
    Last edited by Linda Bailey; 16-10-2004 at 9:01 PM.

Linda Bailey

Question

In case someone can help with understanding this information I have posted the image on-line at:
    https://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....vor-medal.html

Thank you.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Bailey
    Now to understand the image!!!
    McIvor James
    RScFus (Royal Scots Fusiliers) Pte 19628
    Lab Corps? Pte 176254
    Theatre of War first served in (1) France
    Date of entry therein 13.9.15
    Does this mean that he only joined the Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1915? I don't know his date of birth but his sister was born in 1858 so he wouldn't have been young.
    Why does he seem to have two different service numbers?
    Hello Linda
    If you look at the medal roll, you'll see that the numbers are not Service numbers, but Regimental Numbers.

He appaers to have joined the RSF as a Private, been given one regimental number; then transferred to the Labour Corps - since he was now on teh strength of a different regt/corps, he would have been given a new regimental number.

[15 Star - L 6/2/ Cm/138/1]

I think the medal roll is actually LC/2/Cm/138/1

[BEF 25 2 19?]

Looks more like Clz 25 2 19 to more. The second letter may be a 'e' though.

The date is not that of joining, but of his entering the theatre of war to qualify for the medals.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast