TxRiverElf

Default Hugh McMillian, possibly of Paisly

Greetings Forum

My paternal grandmother, Mary Moss McMillan Stewart was born 14 May 1896, in Glasgow.

I am seeking information on her grandmother and name sake, Mary Moss McMillan.

Basically all I know is that Mary Moss McMillan was born about 1821 in Greenoch.

She married John Stewart, a tailor, 29 Oct 1848, Gorbals.

It has been said that her father was named Hugh.

It is presumed that she too is a namesake, so her mother might be, Mary Moss... or... that might be her grandmother's name??

I of course do not know... ... hence my appreciation for your forum and all who share my love for our ancestry!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Are you connected to the webmaster of these sites? (featuring .. Mary Moss McMillan Stewart Duncan #15. ) & another?

https://jezzmo.com/bairns/chap4.html

https://www.jezzmo.com/ancestrialphotos.html
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

TxRiverElf

Hello Waitabit,

Yes, I am... it is quite a mess... heeheee.... Obviously I need help with pinning down my Hugh! https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...new/turned.gif

My problem is... among other things... LOL... that a distant relative told me Mary Moss McMillan's parents were Hugh McMillan and Mary Moss... but... I could never find such a couple... so when I first did those pages, I simply threw up everything I could find, hoping it would spark some interest and maybe someone offering me 'correction'... https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...s/new/euro.gif

I had 2 credits left,just hanging about, so I had a little look, confirmed that marriage in 1948
    29/10/1848 MCMILLAN MARY + JOHN STEWART/FR1437 (FR1437) F GORBALS GLASGOW CITY CITY/LANARK 644/02 0070 0513 not enough credits to view actual page to see parents.

1820-1821 there were NO Mary MossMcMillan births or marriages, 23 Mary McMillans. (One born to James McMillan & Jean Saltcraig 5/8/21.GORBALS GLASGOW CITY CITY/LANARK 644/02 0040 0035

1818 - 1819 there were 22 Mary McMillans one ,the only one I saw in Greenock :
    30/05/1819 MCMILLAN MARY MUNN parents: JOHN MCMILLAN + JANET ROBERTSON, FR959 (FR959) F GREENOCK OLD OR WEST /RENFREW 564/03 0030 0454
    Other work kept me from searching further.

If you want I can send all of these results in a pm.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

TxRiverElf

Dear Waitabit,

Thank you, so much; you were most kind to glance over all those Marys!

It has been very confusing to me... LOL... and I had only access to IGI mostly.

Census can be very helpful and I have relied on it as provider of two primary clues for my Mary Moss McMillan... that she was from Greenoch and born about 1823 (though ages were not always honourably reported, I have noticed... heehee). https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...s/new/ihih.gif

1851 Census 644-1 (550) Ed 16 p 1
    (Outer High or St Pauls) @ 11 George Street.
    John STEWART, head, marr, 28, tailor, b Glasgow City Parish.
    Mary STEWART, wife, marr, 28, -------b Greenock. (c.1823)
    Mary STEWART, daur, 8, ---------b Glasgow, Govan.
    Charles STEWART, son, 6, --------b Glasgow, Govan.
    John STEWART, son, 1, ----b Glasgow.

1861 Census 644-6 Ed 63 p 5 (Blythswood) @
    31 Renfrew Lane.
    John STEWART, head, marr, 37, tailor, b Glasgow.
    Mary STEWART, wife, marr, 38, ----------b Greenock. (c.1823)
    Charles STEWART, son, 15, tailor, b Glasgow.
    Ann STEWART, daur, 5, -------------b Glasgow.
    Isabella STEWART, daur, 3, ------b Glasgow.
    John STEWART, son, 1, ---------b Glasgow.

Of the two possibilities that you suggested, this one would seem the more likely of the two... based on locale... of Greenoch.

1818 - 1819 there were 22 Mary McMillans one ,the only one I saw in Greenock :
    30/05/1819 MCMILLAN MARY MUNN parents:
    JOHN MCMILLAN + JANET ROBERTSON,
    FR959 (FR959) F GREENOCK OLD OR WEST /RENFREW 564/03 0030 0454

With respect to the Scottish naming traditions, I had hoped they might help...
    but... not so much in this case....
    while her husband John had a sister named Janet,
    John and wife Mary did not appear to name any of their daughters Janet...
    unless, sadly one was lost to them in early childhood, born before daughter Ann above.

I know that John and Mary's first son was named John (b. 1850) and he died in infancy or early childhood, so they named another son, John as well, b. 1860. Yet that does not appear to be the case, for a daughter named Janet?

AS to the name of daughter Mary... (the eight year old in 1851)
    John Stewart had been married previously (to Agnes McCullouch) and widowed;
    they named their two children, Mary and Charles....

Charles was for John's father, Charles Stewart...
    so perhaps Mary had been for Agnes' mother... (I don't that for sure)
    ... but since John's first daughter was named Mary,
    when he wed again, to Mary McMillan,
    then I suppose they decided two Marys in the same household was enough.

Perhaps in 'fairplay'... as I had thought... for sake of his deceased first wife...
    John and Mary did name a daughter Agnes...
    who was born in 1854 (just before Ann) and sadly died in 1858.
    But... even though they had subsequent daughters, none were renamed, Agnes.

John and Mary did NOT name a son, Hugh... as one might suspect they would, since he had a son named for his father, Charles and a son named for himself... the next son should ... according to the 'tradition' have been named for the wife's father... but... that does not appear to be the case.

I descend from John and Mary's third son, (born after the two Johns)... Edward Archibald Stewart.

John's mother, Margaret Haldane, had first been married to Charles Stewart (John's father) and then remarried to a fellow named James Archibald.

James Archibald (John Stewart's step-father) had a nephew named Edward Archibald, whom I presume John Stewart must have been quite fond of and may even have grown up with, perhaps.

That Edward Archibald married John's slightly older sister, Janet Stewart (b. 1821).
    Edward and Janet named a daughter Margaret, after Janet's (and John's) mother Margaret (Haldane).

Janet herself was named after her grandmother... Margaret's mum, Janet Horn.

All of that seemed lovely and made perfect sense to me...

But of course it only makes sense when you know all of the 'players'.... heeheee

Common names in Scotland are exactly that... very, very common...

And when it comes to the wife of John Stewart the tailor of Glasgow, Mary McMillan... because her name is soooo common... and because a relative was certain her father's name was 'Hugh'... it has been a real !!

Nonetheless, I do appreciate you taking the time to have a 'look see'...

Thanks waitabit

It would be a good thing to either order the marriage certificate, or go to Scotlands People & buy 30 credits = c $10, then view that marriage, then the parents names & see who comes up.
    Consider:
    Mrs Moss-widowed mother of Mary marries Mr McMillan = Mary Moss McMillan. or

Moss may have been the Mother of any of the men mentioned in your above post.
    Go to Familysearch who have a long list of Moss people,( I entered only 'Moss' & Scotland) then compare with names which are familiar to you. Surprising what often comes out of nowhere.

I shall be eyes down in other work for some time which needs extra concentration, so may not be around much.
    Good hunting to you Elf.
    Happy Families
    Wendy

jac65

Hi

It is unlikely that a 1848 Scottish Church of Scotland marriage (OPRs on Scotlandspeople) would show parents names as that was prior to Civil Registratration.
    If you download the death registration from Scotlandspeople for Mary Stewart (nee McMillan) that should have the names of both parents subject to the knowledge of the informant.
    One of the difficulties searching Scottish events pre 1855 is that the Scotlandspeople OPRs are the Church of Scotland, they do have Catholic Parish Registers in a seperate section but, apart from a handful of batches on Familysearch.org (IGI), other denominations are not online.

Andy

TxRiverElf

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    It would be a good thing to either order the marriage certificate, or go to Scotlands People & buy 30 credits = c $10, then view that marriage, then the parents names & see who comes up.
    Consider:
    Mrs Moss-widowed mother of Mary marries Mr McMillan = Mary Moss McMillan. or

Moss may have been the Mother of any of the men mentioned in your above post.
    Go to Familysearch who have a long list of Moss people,( I entered only 'Moss' & Scotland) then compare with names which are familiar to you. Surprising what often comes out of nowhere.

I shall be eyes down in other work for some time which needs extra concentration, so may not be around much.
    Good hunting to you Elf.
    Thank you for the well wishes, waitabit, and may you be sitting while your eyes are down!