Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TxRiverElf

Question Colquhoun of Tullichewan

I wonder if someone might please be able to answer a question for me?

Alexander Colquhoun, husband of Marion Stirling, was the younger brother of the XVIII Laird Of Luss, Sir John Colquhoun Knight & XVI of Colquhoun; 1st Baronet of the name Colquhoun, to Nova Scotia, John was born about 1596, husband of Lady Lilias Graham of Montrose (sister of the Marquis of Montrose, James Graham) whom he married on 6 Jul 1620.

I would like to know the date of the death of Alexander and a valid source I could cite to validate that death, if at all possible. IF it is a date that is later than I expected then I will have other questions, but first things first.

While most of my peers are claiming a connection to that family, I am seeking the opposite... heehee... proof that there is no way that our immigrant ancestor could have been the son of said Alexander.

Thank you, in advance, if anyone can help me.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 14-05-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Causing smilies to display correctly

gasser

Investigating this I found reference to Alexander which states
    " Alexander married Marion Stirling before 18th June 1632 on which date they had a daughter baptised Jean.........Alexander Colquhoun appears to have died without issue"
    This information was found online from the book entitled "The chiefs of Colquhoun and their country"; (published 1869) page 234/5
    see https://
    archive.org/details/chiefsofcolquhou01fras

Unfortunately I have not found a date of death.....yet!

Hallo TxRiverElf and a warm welcome to British-Genealogy. As your query way predates civil registration, I have moved it from the BMD forum to the Scotland Forum, where hopefully it will attract the notice of someone who knows about early sources. You might like to read the two 'Sticky' threads at the top of the forum here
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

gasser

Regrettably, I have not found any evidence for his death....only many conflicting 'trees'.

From the book I mentioned earlier there is a reference note after this extra bit of info,
    '....he (Alexander) is named and designated Alexander Colquhoun, brother-german to Sir John Colquhoun of Luss' which refers to the baptism entry of daughter, Jean from the Baptism Register of the Parish and City of Edinburgh.

Welcome to the forum by the way .......

TxRiverElf

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    Investigating this I found reference to Alexander which states
    " Alexander married Marion Stirling before 18th June 1632 on which date they had a daughter baptised Jean.........Alexander Colquhoun appears to have died without issue"
    This information was found online from the book entitled "The chiefs of Colquhoun and their country"; (published 1869) page 234/5
    see https://
    archive.org/details/chiefsofcolquhou01fras

Unfortunately I have not found a date of death.....yet!
    Thank you kindly, gasser, for your response! Indeed I have that reference already, from Sir William Fraser, but was hoping for a more 'certain' reference.

TxRiverElf

Thank you, Sue Mackay! What ever works... I am at your mercy and most grateful!

TxRiverElf

Thanks again, gasser. It is a pleasure to be here.

Those 'conflicting trees' are a vexation to me... heehee...

I appreciate your efforts to shed some light on the 'conflict'... ; )

gasser

I'll have another 'dig' tomorrow when have some spare time. I love a challenge and I reckon this is the 'daddy of 'em all ' !!

TxRiverElf

Thank you gasser! I appreciate your thrill of the hunt!

gasser

Found Jean's baptism entry on Scotland's people website. I did not find a marriage for Alexander and Marion. I did not find any deaths recorded either. The baptism entry states 'Marion Stirling', - it may mean they hadn't mariried. I also searched for any wills but no joy here.
    There are archives of the 'landed families and their estates ... personal family correspondence; estate accounts, including records of foreign estates, ... including Colquhoun of Luss, 1188-20th century',
    held at Archives, The Mitchell Library, North Street, Glasgow. G3 7DN
    this info was found at www.
    glasgowlife.org.uk/libraries/the-mitchell-library/archives/collections/family-and-estate-archives/Pages/default.aspx
    Other than the above, I'm not having much joy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast