Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    adrienneroche46

Mike
    Have just discovered the ancestry of my great uncle Frederick Wm Kennedy (c1869-1925) a publican, who was married (unfortunately for him and from whom he separated) to my grandfather's sister Frances Agnes Roche. The Roche family chose to support Fred rather than Frances (who allegedly was somewhat unreliable). My father's brother Tom, a fount of all knowledge) told me that Fred was Jewish. Until now I thought this unlikely, given his name. However, as ever, Tom was correct: Frederick's mother was Mary Harris (she later added 'Levoi' a family name)born in Chatham, Kent, daughter of Barnet & Rosetta Harris. Initially, as did another researcher here, confused them with the Barnet (the tailor) and Rose of London. I knew of Fred Kennedy's siblings and realised that Barnet and Narborough, in particular were unusual names, but the penny has only just dropped. There is some documentation on Barnett's clothing and tobacconist shops in Chatham. I wonder about their views on any of their children marrying 'out' as Mary obviously did. In 1875, Mary, as an adult, was baptised into the Christian faith at St Anne, Limehouse (see Ancestry) - possibly after her parents' deaths. Sadly, Mary died aged 39 (c 1887) and her daughter Mary looked after her father William & siblings.
    I'd be interested in any comments from you and/or forum members. Best wishes, Adrienne Roche

Adrienne
    Mike kindly allowed me access as a guest to his Ancestry family tree. I was looking for connections to any of my lines but have not had time to research in detail. Have you contacted Mike privately or via Ancestry? Do you want to post any data on the Levy Levoi?
    Phillip

adrienneroche46

Phillip
    Thanks for your reply. I looked on Ancestry and contacted one contributor (not Mike) who has replied; I have Mike's email but have not contacted him. The only information I have, at the moment, is that of Barnet & Rosetta's daughter Mary. My uncle's mother Mary Levoi Harris had maybe a dozen siblings (she named her own children after many of them); she also had a cousin, Mary Levoi (b 1825) after whom she was named (see 'Barnet Harris' 1851 census Chatham, Kent). think I have far less information than you have on either the Harris or the Levy Levoi family as I have only recently become aware of my connection. (My cousin has posted my/our family on Ancestry but is not yet aware of the Levoi/Harris information) I think I need to do more research including reading all the posts here & on Ancestry. Also, both Harris & Levoi families were here by the very early 19th century & I'm interested in information beyond that. I can pass on any information as I find it, either on here or by email if you want. (My email is [email protected]),
    Adrienne

Adrienne
    Mike has provided a range of well sourced data on his family tree including the Kennedy and Roche line. My strong advice is for you to make contact with Mike and share your existing data and fill in gaps where possible. I will contact you both if I identify any links to my lines. You will note the change from Levy to Levoi when you look at Mike's data.
    Phillip

adrienneroche46

Phillip

Many thanks for the additional information. I will contact Mike by email and also request access to his family tree on Ancestry. In some cases I saw that Levy and Levoi were often used together.
    Adrienne

Adrienne
    A small note for future research- there maybe a relationship between Montague Levy aka Levoy aka Levoi and Lewis Levy. In the trial of The King v Meyer and others (1819). Montague together with Lewis Levy and several others were tried for major fraud. Lewis Levy maybe related to William Levy because at one stage they both shared the same address at 7 Great Prescot Street. The William Levy lines relate to my Jacobs relatives and Mike has also recorded Levy/Jacobs relationships on his family tree. None of the early Lewis Levy/Montague Levoi relationships have been confirmed as yet but I suspect there is one.
    When you get the chance to look at the wide range of data on the lines the previous information should maker more sense.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Dear Phillip,

I have been sick for a period of time with pancreatitus and had not been able to do any genealogy work. I just started to try to get more information on Michael Harris and his wife, Simmy. I ordered and received a copy of their death certificates. Interestingly Michael died at the house of my ancestor, his son Isaac Harris, but the witness was Abraham Loewwnstark. The address was 10 Warwick Court. I would like to send you a copy of the certificates to see what you make of them. Would that be alright and, if so, how can I do that?

Nikki
    I do hope that you are recovering from your illness. I have sent you a private message with my e mail. In the meantime, I will look at the address for the death of Isaac Harris and look at the Loewenstark connection more closely.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Phillip

Nikki
    Your data says that you can't receive messages on this site so best if you send me privately via BG your e mail. Don't post on the forum.
    Phillip

nikkastar

Philip I am not sure how to send it through BG so I am using the email link. Let me know if it [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Nikki
    Your data says that you can't receive messages on this site so best if you send me privately via BG your e mail. Don't post on the forum.
    Phillip
    Last edited by christanel; 11-01-2015 at 1:51 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast