Alicek79

Default Be kind: I'm an American - KILPATRICK

I have so many questions I don't know where to begin. I've traced my Scottish Kilpatrick family back to John Patrick of Ayrshire or Ayreshire (1429-1460) and hit the wall. No parents to be found anywhere. Am I unreasonable to want to go farther? Another problem is that I have all these people's names, dates, and places but I don't know anything about them--who they were, what they did, and how they lived. I'd like to know them. Am I asking too much? To those of you who have been around this process a while, what should I do now? Thank you for your patience.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Alice79, see? you did know where to begin, here:try a Scotland board..(Forums at the top) or a brickwall board or just a Genealogy what'tsit board. A Mod will redirect you to the best site if you're not sure.

You have the best starters..
    Another problem is that I have all these people's names, dates, and places
    So necessary to aid in finding folk. let it all hang out when you decide on aboard & see what may be found for you.

good hunting Alice.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Hi Alice

As a Moderator I have moved your thread to the Scotland forum, to see if it attracts our experts from north of Hadrian's Wall. I think you said on your introductory thread that you had been given your tree by a cousin. That is wonderful, and gives you a lot to go on, but if I were you I would try to verify it all for yourself with sources. This will also help you to get to know those ancestors and maybe lead to putting flesh on the bones.

As a first step, post details here of the particular Kilpatricks you are looking for information on. I have also added the surname to the title of your post.

At the top of this forum (click here) you will find two 'Sticky' threads which will give you a lot of advice on tracing Scottish ancestors.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Alicek79

Hi, Sue. Thanks so much for your help. My cousin and i have verified everyone in the tree with at least 2 sources.

Alice, I've come late to this discussion.
    I have to say that you're remarkably lucky to have got that far back - between them, damp, war, neglect and acid rain conspire to thwart us! There are very few likely sources apart from gravestones or (very rarely) Church records. Sometimes records turn up in Church Registers (but this is before the Reformation and much was lost then), testaments or in the archives of the great houses (if they're not members of the family, it would usually be a re[port of a discussion by their landlord because they did something wrong.

You sound as though you see the whole tree as just names and dates (something that hits all of us at one time or another). Can I suggest that you select more recent branches to work on, and try and put some flesh on the bones? There's suggestions of places to look for information in a message stuck at the top of this forum. I've had a lot of fun chasing particular places through the old newspaper collections, finding reports of everything from foot and mouth outbreaks to school plays!