nataliew

Default Mitten in St Mileck ??, Lewes & Piddinghoe

Hello
    Hoping someone can help me work out this mysterious location! My 3 x great grandfather William Mitten (sometimes Mittin, Mittins, occasionally Mitton!) lives out his life from his 30s onwards in Goudhurst, Kent.
    The one time he gives his birthplace is in the 1851 census and this is given as 'St Mileck Lewis'. I think this is Lewes and had hoped the other part is St Michael but haven't been able to trace this. Any ideas where he was referring to?
    I've recently found his first marriage in 1825 and birth of eldest 2 children in Piddinghoe - but that's not helped me trace his birth at all.
    Incidentally, something I read said Piddinghoe was the Sussex capital of smuggling at this time!

"Old maps" https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html
    click on link and enter coordinates 541772 110632
    when all maps loaded, click on "1878 map"
    when 1878 map loaded in main window, click on main window to "zoom"

mentions "St Michael Parish " under "Hundred & Parish of Lewes"

Looking at the original 1851 image (not easy to find - transcribed as "William Miller" born "St Mileels, Lewis"), it looks more like "St Mihaels, Lewis" to me rather than "St Mileck, Lewis". The letter "c" appears to be missing.

Have checked for an entry in the Census for the name Michael to compare but unsuccessful

nataliew

Fantastic! I've now found lots on it!

Kentish Gazette, 3 February, 1863
    GOUDHURST AGRICULTURAL ASSOCIATION
    The anniversary of the association was celebrated on Tuesday last....... The awards of the judges in the various classes were as follows
    LONG SERVITUDE - MALE SERVANTS OR LABOURERS
    Samuel Bellingham, in the employ of E Springett, Esq, 41 years, £1
    William Mitten, in the employ of Mr T Barton, 39 years, 10s

nataliew

Have to say an enormous thank you for this! There is a another newspaper from 1854 where he gets a long service award for 30 years. That didn't make sense at first as William lives in Sussex then. But I manage to trace the employer as originating in Hellingly, which seems close enough to Lewes and Piddinghoe to suggest that William starts work for him there and moves with him to Kent. Thus, the move is explained!