Jillaroo

Default Lanson workhouse Devon

Hi, can anybody tell me if Lanson workhouse was in Plymouth. In the 1861 census Emma Jane Dawe aged 13yrs. gives it as her birthplace but only that it was in Devon. In the 1881 census after she has returned to England from Australia married to George King she only puts Plymouth Devon as her birthplace. I'm just trying to make sure I have the right Emma J Dawe. Thanks in advance.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi. This is just me "thinking aloud" ...

The workhouses didn't really have names, just the town or area. 'Lanson Plymouth' doesn't ring a bell. HOWEVER ...

"Lanson" could be "Launceston" (pronounced "Larnson" by locals). There was definitely a workhouse there, it is not far from Plymouth ... but it is over the border, in Cornwall.

Does this help?

Famous for offering help & advice

Would Emma be the 4-year old Lodger in the 1851 Census? Born Launceston.
    With Agricultural Labourer Chrispher (Christopher?) Geast and his wife Maria.

Cornwall>Lezant>District 2a>page 24

Reputation beyond repute

In the 1861 census Emma Jane Dawe aged 13yrs. gives it as her birthplace but only that it was in Devon
    The 1861 census return clearly shows a birthplace of Cornwall, Lanson Workhouse.

A glance at the Workhouse web site suggests that Launceston is a possibility

GenUKI says of Launceston "its Cornish pronunciation does not include the 't' sound - and is usually pronounced as 'Lanson' or 'Launson'

So there you have it. If I were you I would enquire about surviving Launceston Workhouse records.

Jillaroo

Thank you for your replies, going over my notes and post again I realised I wrote Devon instead of Cornwall, I think I'd been looking at the computer far too long.
    Thanks again,