mary dwyer

Default info on marriage of george chapman vallance

I am trying to find more info on my grandfather George Chapman Vallance whom I see, on another thread, may have married an Alice Wright as a second marriage, whom I believe died in 1958.Any info will be of great help. Thanks Mary

Quote Originally Posted by mary dwyer View Post
    I am trying to find more info on my grandfather George Chapman Vallance whom I see, on another thread, may have married an Alice Wright as a second marriage, whom I believe died in 1958.Any info will be of great help. Thanks Mary
    Mary's other thread is here. I can't see any marriage in the GRO indexes, so presume he got married in South Africa. NAAIRS has his death notice, which you should get if you don't already have it. As it is in Natal Archives you can get a digital copy via eggsa.org

George Chapman Vallance was born Exeter RD June quarter 1876 vol 5b page 90. This is all the info you need to order his birth certificate on line here, and that will give you info on his parents.

As mentioned on the other thread, the original image of his service record with the London and South Western Railway is on Ancestry. He joined as a clerk in Exeter in October 1892, aged 16, and resigned in 1901
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

This would appear to be you family on the 1881 census RG11; Piece: 2153; Folio: 27; Page: 9 (original TNA Crown copyright)
    (the original is very faint)
    45 Howell Road, Exeter
    George F. VALLANCE 31 Railway Stationmaster born Farleigh Hungerford, Somerset
    Ellen wife 32 born Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    George C. son 4 born Exeter, Devon
    William H. son 2 born Exeter, Devon
    John P? son 3 mths born Exeter, Devon

G.F. VALLANCE also worked for the London and South Western for a time. It was common for several generations of the same family to work for the same company.

The original marriage certificate for George Furlong VALLANCE and Ellen Ada CHAPMAN appears amongst the LMA records on Ancestry. They were married in St.Andrew, Holborn, London on 13 March 1875. George was a stationmaster, the son of George Davis VALLANCE (gardener) and Ellen was the daughter of William CHAPMAN (gamekeeper)
    Sue Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    John P? son 3 mths born Exeter, Devon
    Should be John V. John Vincent VALLANCE died 1883 and so does not appear on the 1891 census
    RG12; Piece: 1690; Folio: 12; Page: 18
    25 Longbrook St, Exeter
    They now have daughters Amy (8) and Ada (6)
    Sue Mackay

The family sailed for Natal from Southampton on 20 October 1906 on board Gascon (Union Castle)
    Mr. G.C. VALLANCE 34 Hotel Proprietor
    Mrs. E 30
    Miss E.G.L. 2
    Miss G.A. 1
    Master J.W. 1

John William's birth was registered in Shaftesbury, Dorset Sep qtr 1906 (vol 5a page 208) so he must have been a babe in arms when they sailed.
    There is another Shaftesbury registration for a George Albert VALLANCE Sep qtr 1905 (vol 5a page 213) - was the passenger list supposed to say Master instead of Miss? Shaftesbury RD includes Gillingham.
    I cannot find a registration for Ellen G.L. but there is a registration for a Nellie VALLANCE in Bath, March qtr 1904 (vol 5c page 495) which might be worth a punt.
    Sue Mackay

mary dwyer

Default info on marriage of GEORGE chapman vallance

THANKS MOST KINDLY FOR THE GREAT HELP AND HOPE FOR MORE INFO. ON A SECOND MARRIAGE AS HE AND ETHEL WERE DIVORCED IN 1918
    REGARDS MARY

Quote Originally Posted by mary dwyer View Post
    THANKS MOST KINDLY FOR THE GREAT HELP AND HOPE FOR MORE INFO. ON A SECOND MARRIAGE AS HE AND ETHEL WERE DIVORCED IN 1918
    I imagine that as the family went to Natal in 1906 that any second marriage took place there. As you are in Durban my advice would be to check at your local library for newspapers of the 1920s and have a look through their marriage announcements. You may also be lucky with his death notice (see #2 above). The death notice of my South African 3x great grandmother, who was married four times, gives names and dates for all four of her spouses.
    Sue Mackay

mary dwyer

Sue thanks for info. thus far, it appears that he and Nellie returned to England in 1908 and have not been able to find more info since
    Regards Mary