Colin Rowledge

Default The children of MY family of Mormons

In this family - as noted in the 1910 census - their mother had given birth to 10 children, of whom 5 were still alive as of 1910.

Of the 5 alive as of 1910, I have found only 3.

The lifestyle of children pre. 1900 was more or less based upon the gender of the child.

This is just a heads-up as my next posts will outline the life of each, so please be patient with me!!

Note that the 1890 U.S. was almost completely destroyed by fire and that - possibly - the 1900 census was never made public.

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default JOHN MOLLARD BOWDEN [1887-1949]

I will start with the easiest one 1st. There is very little needed to unravel about him but there still some questions that remain unanswered.

He was born 23 April 1887 in Idaho Springs, Clear Creek County, Colorado. His parents were married 21 June 1880 in Spanish Bar, Clear Creek County, Colorado when his father was a Miner aged 25 and his mother aged 15 & 1/2.

When his father depated the scene, he, along with his mother and his siblings, depated Colorado and settled in Eureka, Juab County, Utah as his parents were Mormons.

He next surfaces in the 1910 U.S. census. He is single aged 22, living with his mother andis employed as a Blacksmith in a mine. They live in Eureka, Juab County. Nothing at all has changed [except his age] in the 1920 census.

In 1924/1925, he marries a lady by the name of Elizabeth Pearl McDonald. E.P.'s maiden was Haws and she was born in Silver City, Juab County, Utah 15 September 1892. Her family were also Mormons.

A son - John Mollard Bowden jr. was born 18 August 1925 in Eureka.

Here follows [in part] details of the 1930 census:
    John M. Bowden - Head - age 43 - blacksmith in a Mine - 1st married age 36.
    Pearl E. Bowden - Spouse - age 37 - no occupation - 1st married age 18.
    John M. Bowden jr - Son - age 4 - no ccupation - single.
    Arthur G. McDonald- Stepson - age 17 - labourer in a mine - single - born Utah.
    Owen McDonald - Stepson - age 15 - unknown occupation - single - born Utah

While I have documented in my file, the lives of her 1st husband [which confirms he died 5 March 1925 in Eureka] and their 2 sons, I cannot find the 3 Bowden's in 1940.

As for John jr. he enlisted in U.S. Navy 11 March 1943 at age 17 in Salt Lake City. He served as a Deckhand until his discharge in 1946 in California. He was single when discharged. He died at age 49, 13 May 1975 and is buried in Taylorsville, Juab County, Utah

John sr. died 10 September 1949 at age 62 and was buried in Eureka on 11 September 1949
    Elizabeth died 19 March 1944 at age 51 in Eureka.

Questions
    1] Can these 3 Bowden's be located in the 1940 census in Eureka?
    2] When did John and Elizabeth Pearl marry?
    3] Did John jr. ever marry?

Colin

Colin Rowledge

Default ASENATH LAITY BOWDEN [1889-1974]

I have spent many hours over several days looking at the goings on for her. She was born in Colorado [as were her siblings] 19 March 1889 [see post #2 for her early life]. She married twice - 1st to john Ray White 17 September 1908 and lastly to Joseph Wayne White 1 March 1920. Between these 2 marriages she had 6 children.

They were:
    John Bowden White - 24 October 1909 - 11 July 1967
    Walter William Wendell White - 28 October 1913 - 23 October 1994
    Howard R. White - abt 1916 - alve as of 1 April 1940 - still tracing him after 1940
    Joseph Wayne White jr. - 25 May 1921 - 9 April 1991. Single as of 1 April and still traing him up to his death.
    Thomas W. White - abt. 1924 - alive as of 1 April 1940 - still tracing him after 1940
    Donald E. White - abt 1927 - alive as of 1 April 1940 - still tracing him after 1940

The 'book' on Asenath is pretty well closed.

What fascinated me [and hopefully others reading this post] is the relationship between her 2 husbands.

1st husband - John Ray White
    John Ray was born 28 February 1885 and was the son of Thomas Henry and Mary Ann White formerly Jones. Both parents were born in England - Thomas Henry White 25 November 1846 in Charlcott Hill, Wiltshire and Mary Ann Jones 15 April 1858 in East Deham, Norfolk. Both families with whom the children emigrated were members of the Church of Latter Day Saints

Thomas Henry and Mary Ann married when Mary Ann was 16 years old on 2 November 1874. They had at least 4 children. Thomas Henry as a devout Mormon, had previously married Emily Oliver in 1867. Emily had also emigrated with her parents and had been in the community in Utah since 1858. She was born in England in 1848. With Emily he had 12 children and one was Joseph Elijah White.

2nd husband - Joseph Wayne White
    Joseph Wayne was born was born 3 March 1901. He was the son of Joseph Elijah and Diantha Ellen White formerly Pace. His parents had married in 1898 in Utah. The parents had a daughter - Marie - born May 1899and Joseph Wayne later. Diantha Ellen died age 23 5 September 1904 and he later [Joseph Elijah] married Ethel Irene Hodsonwith with whom he had 6 children.

If i've figured it out correctly - Thomas Henry is both the Father-in-law and Grandfather-in-law of Asenath Laity Bowden.

Colin Rowledge

Default ELIZABETH MARY BOWDEN [1884 - ?]

This is the 3rd and final child that I have found.

She was born in Colorado 9 April 1884. Like the rest of her family she wound up in Utah.

I cannot find her in 1910 U.S. census so she may have gone to Canada, however she doesn't appear in the 1911 Canada census.

A possible sighting of her is in 1920 census. A person by the name of Elizabeth Clarelle or Clavelle is living with Asenath [see above post]. She is indicated as sister of Asenath. She is a widow with a 9 year old daughter - who has a given name that looks like La Vomae. The census indicates that her father was born in Canada and that she was born in Utah. What concerns me is that her mother's place of birth is indicated as IDAHO. Her occupation is indicated as a Waitress in a Cafe.

A tree on Ancestry has a a death in 1923, but no place of death is indicated. I made contact with the tree owner who indicated that her information came from another tree owner which had this information but was unsourced and, like me, has been unable to confirm it.

That is all I know on Elizabeth Mary Bowden, so any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

Colin