annabel

Default illegitimcy in 1854

I'm trying to find out if there was any kind of bastardy order made for my ancester who was born Dec 1854, at Chelsea Holy Trinity, Pimlico and registered at St George Hanover Square, Belgrave. Can anyone give me an idea of what I am looking for in that time, and where I might look for it?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

From the National Archives

Bastardy

From the 16th century onwards in England and Wales, the status of a child born to parents who were not married to each other had particular legal and social consequences. These consequences led to the creation of documents which exist today as archives. For example, a bastardy bond or recognisance could oblige the supposed father to appear at the Quarter Sessions or Petty Sessions court, or simply oblige him or another relation to provide for the child so that she or he was not supported by the parish authorities. A bastardy or affiliation order could be made by a Quarter Sessions or Petty Sessions court, requiring the father to pay for the child's upkeep - failure to pay could result in a prison sentence.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/
    has a search page which may help
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

Chelsea Holy Trinity, Pimlico and registered at St George Hanover Square, Belgrave
    Out of interest, what street would that be? Holy Trinity Chelsea (I don't think I'd call it Pimlico) was basically in the Chelsea RD at that time but it would be close to Belgravia (St George Hanover Square RD). There seem to have been several administrative changes in this area in the 19th century. I'm just being geekish.

For affiliation orders try petty session records (petty session/magistrates court/police court). You would need to know where the mother was living.

You would really be best of with the expert advice in the book My Ancestor Was a Bastard

annabel

Thanks for all that help. At the time of birth and registration the mother was living at 6 Skinner Street. She had moved at some time since 1852 from Suffolk, but as the birth was in London, i suppose any records would be for there.
    i find the national archives bamboozling. Could you advise me on what I should be searching for on their site. There are so many petty sessions records, but I can't find a term to narrow it down at all