Thread: Australia 1874

Brick wall demolition expert!

Default Australia 1874

I was browsing the newspapers that have just gone on line at National Library of Wales, and came across the advert below, which thought might be of interest to those who have ancestors that went to Australia. Even though its about South Australia, I am sure that the other states would not have been much different.

In the late 1850s Thomas and Mary Gambold left their home in Pembrokeshire to go to Victoria, and they left behind their infant son. There has been lots of speculation about why, but maybe it was as simple as they could not afford to take him.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Perhaps it was thought that conditions were too harsh for very young children. Odd tho' as it didn't stop procreation after arrival.
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Brick wall demolition expert!

It certainly didn't they had another 11 or 12 children!!

Megan I think you are right. The high cost of the fares would have prohibited them from taking their children and the plan would be to go to theis land of milk and honey - well better prospects and the chance of land - and then send for the children the next year.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

spison

Quote Originally Posted by Waitabit View Post
    Perhaps it was thought that conditions were too harsh for very young children. Odd tho' as it didn't stop procreation after arrival.
    Possibly also the inability at this time to care for young children should anything happen to the mother (which was not impossible).

Jane

erniepar

Thanks. Very interesting as I am trying to track a relation who emigrated to Adelaide between 1872 and 1880, almost certainly embarking at Plymouth. Unfortunately, the ships' lists are not comprehensive at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions? Did S. Australia have immigration records?

spison

Quote Originally Posted by erniepar View Post
    I am trying to track a relation who emigrated to Adelaide between 1872 and 1880, almost certainly embarking at Plymouth.
    Hi erniepar,
    I know next to nothing about South Australia so hopefully someone who does will come and help out here, but have you looked at the National Library of Australia site called Trove? Totally free and totally brilliant. The newspapers section may give you information on your person. You don't need to log in but truly you get lots of benefits by spending a couple of minutes joining as you can then tag items that are relevant to you.
    https://
    trove.nla.gov.au/

All the best.

If you want help on your people start a new thread with details.

Jane

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

erniepar

Many thanks. Very helpful George Powlesland seems to have been a significant figure in SA railways.