Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rksailing

Default ANN LOCK, MY GREAT GRANDMOTHER

I am looking for information on my great grandmother Ann Lock born 1821 in Lechlade, Gloucestshire. I need to know her parents names, dates of birth, marriage, children etc. She was married to Thomas Langsford born in 1818 in Alphington, Devon. She had 11 children: Thomas, Mary, Joseph, John, Sarah Ann, (these first 5 were Thomas's children from a previous marriage to Mary Ann Ware b:1821 & d:04 July, 1897) Elizabeth, Fanny, William Henry (my grandfather), Mary, Emmy & George These 6were Thomas and Ann's children.

Procat

Hi,

I have moved your post from the Family History Society section of the forum to the Gloucestershire section. The Family History Society section is for posts regarding the various societies rather than queries about people.

terrysfamily

Groom: Thomas Langsford, Single
    Bride: Anne Lock, Single
    Marriage: 12 May 1845, St. Thomas' Church, Bristol, Gloucester, England
    G/father: John Langsford
    B/father: James Lock
    indexing project (batch) numberM01835-9, gs film number1597027

The closest birth I can Find for Ann Lock with father James is

Ann Lock
    christening date: 18 Jun 1815, St George, Bristol, Gloucester, England
    Father: James Lock, Mother: Sarah
    indexing project (batch) number I03977-2, gs film number 1595532

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by rksailing View Post
    I need to know her parents names, dates of birth, marriage, children etc. She was married to Thomas Langsford
    The first step is to lay your hands on a copy of the marriage certificate, as that should provide her father's name and occupation, thus helping you to identify Anne in a possible baptism:

June quarter 1845, Bristol registration district, volume 11, page 233. Thomas LANGSFORD and Anne LOCK are on the same page.

Obtainable from the GRO for the princely sum of £9.25.

Edit: I see that Terry has the details!

terrysfamily

I gathered my info from familysearch.

Remember familysearch is only a guide.

It would be best to take Jan's advice and obtain the marriage certificate. As Jan say's this would give Ann(e)'s fathers occupation. It should also give names of witnesses, who could turn out to be other family members.

Terry

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have the earlier Bristol transcriptions on CD.

Ann Lock, daughter of James and Sarah, baptised 18 June 1815, St George, Bristol, Abode: Clay Bottom, father's occupation: tailor

I couldn't find any other children for this marriage, at least not in Bristol.

Nor could I find a possible marriage for James and Sarah

Too bad the IGI for Lechlade ends at 1812

There are a few baptisms for children of a James Lock and Susanna before that date, however.

William Lock, born 20 Aug 1811, baptised 6 Oct 1811
    Joseph Miller Lock, born 17 Dec 1812, baptised 26 Dec 1812

Checking the National Burial Index, I found these, the only burials listed for Lechlade

James Lock, buried 9 Mar 1824, St Lawrence, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, age 42 (b. c. 1782)
    James Lock, buried 24 Mar 1824, St Lawrence, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, age 1 (b. c. 1823); possibly a younger sibling of Ann's
    Susanna Lock, buried 7 Dec 1826, St Lawrence, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, age 44 (b. c. 1782)

Note, a Gloucestershire Baptisms Index is available to purchase on the Gloucestershire Family History Society website, covering the period 1813 to 1837.

You can make free enquiries if you're a member of the society.

janbooth

From Gloucestershire FHS Baptismal Index 1813-37:

Born 28 Nov 1820, bap 1 Jan 1821 Ann LOCK daughter of James & Susannah, Baker, Lechlade

Siblings:

Born 24 Jan, bap 16 Feb 1815 Elizabeth LOCK daughter of James & Susannah, Baker, Lechlade
    Born 17 Mar, bap 26 Dec 1817 Joseph Miller LOCK son of James & Susannah, Baker, Lechlade
    Born 13 Jun, bap 18 Jul 1819 James LOCKE son of James & Susannah, Baker, Lechlade
    Born 23 Dec 1822, bap 19 Jan 1823 Sarah LOCK daughter of James & Susannah, Baker, Lechlade

All baptised at St Lawrence, Lechlade

From Gloucestershire Burial Index:

25 May 1814 at Lechlade James LOCK, aged 1
    29 March 1824 at Lechlade James LOCK, aged 42
    7 December 1826 at Lechlade Susanna LOCK, aged 44

Janet

Ah, excellent!

Thanks Janbooth.

Sad them losing both their parents when they were so young. I wonder who cared for the children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast