Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    rksailing

Default PETER READ, MY GREAT GRANDFATHER (BIDBOROUGH)

I am looking for information on the family (specifically his parents are of interest) of PETER READ, my great grandfather. He was born in Bidborough, Kent, England in 1853. He was married to Elizabeth Caroline Mary Ann Davis, I do not know the year. Elizabeth was born in June 1853 in Shoreditch, Middlesex, England and died 01 December 1927 in West Malling, Kent, England. Peter and Elizabeth have 4 children, Lydia Charlotte, Grace Eleanor, Louisa E. and William Peter. Lydia Charlotte Read Giltnane Langsford is my grandmother, and Peter is her father.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lizzy9

To start you off.............

Here's a probable marriage.

Peter Read Dec qrt 1872, Islington and also indexed Elizabeth Catherine M Davis.

Lizzy9

Married at St Paul Islington, Dec 5th 1872.

Peter Read, full age, bachelor, Artificial Florist, father: Bagot Read - gentleman
    Elizabeth Catherine Maryann Davis, full age , spinster, father:James Davis - Clerk

Witnesses: Frederick Davis and Maryann Davis

Lizzy9

I can see more records which pertain to your ancestry, but it's late and I must get some sleep.

I'll look by tomorrow, but feel sure other members' will have looked in and added lots of info.

Bagot is a very useful for family historians'. How many of them born same time would there be???

Nicolina

how certain are you about the details?
    according to the 1911 Census for 52 Tilson Road, Tottenham (RG14PN7328 RG78PN356 RD132 SD4 ED19 SN396)
    Peter READ aged 57 born Bidborough occ: Insurance Agent
    Louisa READ aged 49 born Hoxton, London
    Ernest Peter READ aged 18 born Hoxton, London occ: Plate Boy (Restaurant)
    Leonard Walter READ aged 17 born Hoxton, London occ: Boot Repairer
    Frances Louisa READ aged 15 born Tottenham occ: Domestic

Peter & Louisa had been married 26 years and had 3 children, all still living.

Nicolina

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzy9 View Post
    Married at St Paul Islington, Dec 5th 1872.

Peter Read, full age, bachelor, Artificial Florist, father: Bagot Read - gentleman
    Elizabeth Catherine Maryann Davis, full age , spinster, father:James Davis - Clerk

Witnesses: Frederick Davis and Maryann Davis
    in 1871 he appears to be a Boarder with the DAVIS family at Shepherdess Walk, Shoreditch (RG19 Folio: 41 Piece 445 Page 19)

Nicolina

I'll have another look at the 1911 Census and see if I can find another Peter who fits.

rksailing

Hi Nicolina: Thanks for your help! I am very confident on the details I conveyed. I have written confirmation and photos from my mother on these details. I don't think this is the correct Peter Read on the 1911 Census. His wife was Elizabeth Caroline Mary Ann Davis, not Louisa. Also the children are not the correct names. As well the marriage information does not agree with Lizzy's Marriage of 05 December 1872. In 1911 Peter and Elizabeth would have been married 39 years.

rksailing

Hi Lizzy:
    Special thanks to you. I look forward to more information on my ancestry.
    Shari

Lizzy9

Hi Shari, sorry I had forgotten this request. I have found Peter and family in 1861 but the enumerator's writing isn't clear, I therefore suspect there's names and place names copied wrongly. On this census it has Sussex as Peter's birth place!!! Rotherfield is about 11 miles from Bidborough.

1861, Sompting Sussex. RG 9; Piece: 603; Folio: 26; Page: 2

Bagol Offly Crew Read 40, Landlord Proptietor, Staffordshire
    Louisa Isabell Read 39, Radford London
    Richard Cola Crew Read 12, Byfleet, Surrey
    Bagol Crew Read 11, Tonbridge Kemt
    Mary Louise Read 9, Tonbridge
    Petre Crew Read 8, Rotherfield Sussex
    Fanny Crew Read 6, Tonbridge

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast