Default Cape Town Registers

You can browse original registers of St.George's Cathedral, Cape Town and registers of the military chaplain at

https://www.historicalpapers.wits.ac....igitalItems/U/

There are all sorts of other goodies on this site if you have a good browse
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

markmccormack

Sue,

How did the Registers handle military births / marriages / burials.

As you may have read in other posts, my concern is to find records of the marriage and/or the children of a particular man (James LITTLEWORTH) who served with the 98th at the Cape from 1825 to 1830.

Is there a register in Cape Town archives, or was it all kept separate in the Regimental records (and potentially now at KEW)? To date I have found nothing in my Cape searches.

Kindest Regards!

Mark

My 2xgt grandfather was baptised by the Military Chaplain at Cape Town in 1829 and the baptism was recorded in the same way as all other baptisms. Marriage registers in South Africa unfortunately do not name the parents, although they sometimes appear as witnesses.

Many early registers from the Cape are now on Family Search (click on Africa and then on the various Browse Image options), and the records that were previously available on the South African ancestry24 site will shortly be available on Ancestry.

I have had a look on various indexes I have but have not come across any Littleworth I'm afraid.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

markmccormack

Very kind of you to help. He is one elusive fellow!

Be well!

Mark

Reputation beyond repute

Always worth asking the National Archives

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...rmedforces.htm

Note that the indexes mentioned in the guide are incomplete and it is often worth asking GRO for a certificate even if you haven't found an entry in the index.

The guide also doesn't make it clear that different considerations apply in the case of Scottish or Irish servicemen.