Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by FHmad64 View Post
    Many thanks, Megan. I haven't trawled my British Newspapers Online account but clearly need to!
    Its a record set at Findmypast rather than a newspaper report.

By the way for anyone interested Ancestry now has the divorce papers available to view.

I wonder why Edward Strong waited 4 years after the "adultery" before divorcing Lucretia. I would if the death of Donald Mackay 7 months before he filed for the divorce had any bearing on it? The fact that he was dead, meant that there was no correspondent to be cross examined, and so the courts took Edward's word for it.

I don't know if you know that Ancestry has wills older than 1858, and from a quick check they definitely have wills for Joseph Strutt. You can see the originals as well, so they may help in sorting out the tangle of family connections.

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    By the way for anyone interested Ancestry now has the divorce papers available to view.

I wonder why Edward Strong waited 4 years after the "adultery" before divorcing Lucretia. I would if the death of Donald Mackay 7 months before he filed for the divorce had any bearing on it? The fact that he was dead, meant that there was no correspondent to be cross examined, and so the courts took Edward's word for it.
    Thanks for that

Edward died in 16 April 1877 . The divorce was filed 17 August 1875, the degree nisci was 24 March 1876 and the final decree 1 May 1877. SO he was dead before the final decree

I havent goten his death certificate but my theory is that he knew he was dying and wanted the issue sored out before his death. He didnt want Lucretia coming back and claiming the children or his money.

With respect to the death of Donald McKay, they could not have made him testify in court but then of course, he may say it never occurred. That being the case, who is the father of Blanche?

A very complicated but challenging situation

kermie62

Thanks for that. I have seen the will for Joseph Strutt, he had very little and left it all to his wife. I have also seen the will of his brother-in-law and it was clear that he had been supporting his widowed sister.

Your brickwall has me completely hooked - so I keep going back and stirring the pot and seeing what if anything appears.

I may be wrong (frequently am.....), but I think that Helen Proctor, wife of Albert Ambrose Strong, was the daughter of George Thomas Proctor and Mary S, or Mary Sophia Strutt (who married in Cardiff in 1873), and Mary Sophia was born in Spaulding, Lincolnshire in 1840, the daughter of Percy and Sophia Strutt, Percy being the son of Joseph and a brother to Mary Ann, the paternal grandmother of Albert Ambrose Strong.

If I am right, is that what is called keeping it in the family?!

kermie62

You can come here any time you wish and stir the pot as much as you wish. You can see why I am so addicted to the family and keep hitting my head against the wall especially the ultimate challenge of Percy and Mary Anns paternal grandparents. Throw in that each generation had at least one Joseph or Mary Ann and then married them into the family as well, its a real dogs breakfast but geneological challenge. I have one Mary Ann Strutt, the mother of Mary Ann the daughter and niece of Mary Ann the Aunt plus cousin to Mary Ann the Aunts daughter. Whose first husband was Joseph, then had a second husband called Joseph as well and a father in law Joseph married to Mary Ann the Aunt now Mary Ann the mother in law and a son called Joseph. You get the picture.

Yes you are right as you most probably tend to be. I only recently discovered this travelling down the Reverend Percy Strutt's line hitting Ambrose and saying Whoa I recognise that name.

However they are only second cousins so not as bad to our 21st century eyes but still following a trend.

Mary Ann and Percys other brother Joseph Strutt married his cousin Mary Ann.

Joseph, Percy and Mary Ann's other sister Kezia Rachel Strutt married her brother-in-law John Bird in Switzerland after thier sister Jemima died. Now that was definately against the law in the UK and John Bird as a solictor should have known better

ANother interesting divorce is Percy and Mary Ann's brother Joseph Strutts grandaughter Mary Gartside Platt. She married a Reginald Bagnall. Later on he divorced her according to the papers, after she told him that he was the father of only 2 of his 4 children. One of her children was a schoolmaster who was described as "all at sea with his sexuality" but the same person also stated that he never behaved badly with the students.

Now that is keeping it in the family.

However contrasting this are members of the Family who were great artists, army officers who died bravely with thier men on the western front, great explorers and involved with the suppression of the slave trade. A real mixed bag that just keeps you looking wondering what the heck you are going to find next.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Love it what an ecclectic family you have,keeps you on your toes?

I was trying to work out where all the various nieces etc living with Kezia in the 1891 census and was rolling my eyes at what I thought was a transcription error regarding Florence Bird when it says that she was born in Neath, Scotland, rather than Wales or Glamorgan, but looking at the original I see that is how it was recorded, so possibly the enumerator had a moment................

But any way in the course of looking all that up I discovered that she had one of the most unique names I have come across when I found her baptism - "Sarah Florence Hendrica Vanbrinde Bird". I would guess that her father James must have been a brother to John Bird.

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I was trying to work out where all the various nieces etc living with Kezia in the 1891 census and was rolling my eyes at what I thought was a transcription error regarding Florence Bird when it says that she was born in Neath, Scotland, rather than Wales or Glamorgan, but looking at the original I see that is how it was recorded, so possibly the enumerator had a moment................

But any way in the course of looking all that up I discovered that she had one of the most unique names I have come across when I found her baptism - "Sarah Florence Hendrica Vanbrinde Bird". I would guess that her father James must have been a brother to John Bird.
    Yes an interesting name but she called herself Florence as far as I have been able to track her until she was apparently abducted by Aliens after staying with her Aunt Rachel.

I also ran across that "scotland" reference and spent a few moments argueing with google that it was looking in the wrong place.

Yes her father James was brothr to John Bird. There is one frustrating cencus record in the family I have misplaced where the Birds had about 8 kids but in the census just listed them by initials

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567