Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

I have gone backwards a little bit trying to find out a little about Albert Ambrose Strong, because sometimes there are clues in relatives which help.

His birth was registered in 1867 in Cardiff and he was baptised 20 March 1869 at St John's Cardiff, and the parish register says that his parents were Edward and "Lucretis", and that Edward was an office clerk and they lived in Peter Street. I have highlighted the year becuase that is quite a long time after Edward alleged that they separated.

In the 1871 Census Edward Strong is living on his own at Woodville Ter, Cardiff and described as a Railway Accountant. I mention this, because when you track Albert Ambrose you realise that he became a solicitor, and that when he died 12 Feb 1930 he left an estate worth £17,454, which was a lot of money. Further as one of the first mentions in a census is the 1881 census when he was at school in Margate, who was paying the fees?

I know that you have said that Lucretia left a good estate, but also Albert Ambrose's Gt. Aunt, Kezia Chivers, was a widow living on her own means with a number of nieces and nephews living with her. When she died in 1913 she left £7315 to Charles Edward Strong, Gentleman and Albert Ambrose Strong, Solicitor.

Have you found Edward Strong's death, and if so did he leave a will and were there any clues in that?

What about the other legitimate children, have you traced them?

I thought that it might be easier to look for Lucretia before her marriage. In the 1851 Census there is an 11 year old living with her uncle in Worcestershire (Piece 1964 Folio 76 Page 34).

kermie62

Thanks for the help Megan

To respond

It is definitely suspicious that Albert Ambrose STRONG is born after the date of separation, Edward took a chance with his divorce affidavit because the courts were very restrictive on people getting divorces and if they had of checked Alberts date of birth, they wouldn�t not have taken it lightly and not granted the divorce. Indeed, Edward would have been guilty of perjury.

With respect to the money, it�s always been chaotic with this family. Some had money, some didn�t. Rachel�s grandfather was Joseph Strutt Snr the famous antiquarian and author, yet her mother was living on the charity of her brother when her father died. One of her brothers was a doctor, the other a Master in the Royal Navy who became noteworthy in his own right with servants, cooks etc. One sister married an Upholster and led a working class life as did her children. One side had servants, the others were servants. Rachel married initially her brother-in-law who was a layer and who became the Mayor of Cardiff and an attorney at law. It is from this source I would presume the money to have come.

The tracing of the relatives is how I got into this because as I say, Rachel is first cousin to my greatx3 grandmother. For Albert to be Rachel�s great/grandnephew, he would have had to be the granddaughter of either one of her siblings or one of her husband�s siblings. The two family names are Bird and Strutt. Yet I can find no combination of a Strong marrying a Bird or Strutt nor a Ambrose marrying a Bird or a Strutt. There may be a family member I am missing. (I know it is not a Chivers because Mira Bird, Rachel step-daughter/niece is at Edward and Lucretias wedding and Rachel is not a Chivers then). Am I looking at perhaps then an illegitamate child of Rachel or one of the family?.

The Lucretia Ambrose in the 1851 census may not be this Lucretia. There are two born around 1838/1939. One a Lucretia Ambrose born in Kings Norton Worcestershire in Q4 1839 and a Lucretia Fowler Ambrose born in Q3 1838 in Rugby Warwickshire. That census Lucretia is living in Worcestershire, was born in Kings Heath Worcestershire but her Uncle and Aunt�s name is William and Jane FOWLER suggesting that this is Lucretia Fowler Ambrose. Our Lucretia gives her birth place as Worcestershire in 1871 and Birmingham Warwickshire in 1861. But I can only find one Lucretia in 1841 and 1851. The 1841 Lucretia is the daughter of a farm labourer living in Middlesex. Is it possible that we have the same person registered twice?

The more you dig the more questions are rriased. I will keep working. Thanks again

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    The Lucretia Ambrose in the 1851 census may not be this Lucretia. There are two born around 1838/1939. One a Lucretia Ambrose born in Kings Norton Worcestershire in Q4 1839 and a Lucretia Fowler Ambrose born in Q3 1838 in Rugby Warwickshire. That census Lucretia is living in Worcestershire, was born in Kings Heath Worcestershire but her Uncle and Aunt�s name is William and Jane FOWLER suggesting that this is Lucretia Fowler Ambrose. Our Lucretia gives her birth place as Worcestershire in 1871 and Birmingham Warwickshire in 1861. But I can only find one Lucretia in 1841 and 1851. The 1841 Lucretia is the daughter of a farm labourer living in Middlesex. Is it possible that we have the same person registered twice?
    Familysearch have a baptism and death shortly after in Jul 1838 of a Lucretia Fowler Ambrose of Wolston Warwickshire. Parents Thomas and Sarah.
    It is possible that the other Lucretia is a second daughter to the same parents, or is related to them in some way.

kermie62

Ive gone looking and yes you are right, its the best fit, Curious that shes in the industrial school whoch is for Orphans though according to Lizzys find, her mum was still alive then. I can find her in 1881 and 1891. Funny that FMP direct search won't find her yet a LDS search does find it and leads you to it on the FMP site.

Its interesting also that I cant find a birth record for her, looks like she wasnt registere, Also cannot find any marriage for her so I cant find those marriages you found. Just got to keep looking.

Perhaps the records of the Industrial school may help. Any idea where they would be?

kermie62

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Without checking actual records - I think she may be a servant in 1891 and poss married a Peter Sing in Tenby Pembrokeshire in 1898, and in Tenby in 1901.
    I found her marriage record and in it she gives her fathers name as Thomas Strong, a DRAPER. I highlight the draper because the Edward Strong in his divorce, listed the other party as Douglas Mackay, a DRAPER. Is this just a coincidence ???

Perhaps the records of the Industrial school may help. Any idea where they would be?
    I think they are here at Glamorgan archives.
    http:
    //calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=UC&pos=5

I found her marriage record and in it she gives her fathers name as Thomas Strong, a DRAPER. I highlight the draper because the Edward Strong in his divorce, listed the other party as Douglas Mackay, a DRAPER. Is this just a coincidence ???
    Interesting ..... There is often a grain of truth in there somewhere so I wouldn't discount her.

Is Gertrude Sarah Strong another of the children? You probably have this, but if not, a Gertrude Sarah Strong baptised Nov 1871 Woolston Hampshire in Family Search. Parents Edward and Lucretia. Poss birth 1864 Pontypridd reg dist, poss death 1880 Portsea. In South Stoneham reg dist age 6 in 1871 census. Sorry can't check details.

Brick wall demolition expert!

One a Lucretia Ambrose born in Kings Norton Worcestershire in Q4 1839 and a Lucretia Fowler Ambrose born in Q3 1838 in Rugby Warwickshire. That census Lucretia is living in Worcestershire, was born in Kings Heath Worcestershire but her Uncle and Aunt�s name is William and Jane FOWLER suggesting that this is Lucretia Fowler Ambrose. Our Lucretia gives her birth place as Worcestershire in 1871 and Birmingham Warwickshire in 1861. But I can only find one Lucretia in 1841 and 1851.
    Kings Norton is on the south of Birmingham and so very much on the border area between Warwickshire and Worcestershire. Today Birmingham is one of the largest cities in the UK but in the mid 1800s it would have been much smaller, and so people would have talked about the counties more.

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Interesting ..... There is often a grain of truth in there somewhere so I wouldn't discount her.

Is Gertrude Sarah Strong another of the children? You probably have this, but if not, a Gertrude Sarah Strong baptised Nov 1871 Woolston Hampshire in Family Search. Parents Edward and Lucretia. Poss birth 1864 Pontypridd reg dist, poss death 1880 Portsea. In South Stoneham reg dist age 6 in 1871 census. Sorry can't check details.
    Gertrude is with gt aunt Elizabeth H Strutt in 1871(family search)

If Albert is a great nephew to Rachel Kezia Chivers formerly Bird, nee Strutt and Gertrude is a gt niece to Elizabeth H Strutt wife (I think) of a William Strutt, - could William and Rachel K be brother and sister?

And Edward Strong (father of Albert and Gertrude) from 1871 census says b 1832 Hammersmith. Family search has a possible bap feb 1832 paternoster row methodists to a William and Ann Strong. Is there some way of Edward being a nephew to William Strutt and Rachel Kezia Strutt I wonder?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast