Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    kermie62

Default A mystery of Adultery and Illegitimacy

Hello Guys

Come across this mystery that I haven’t been able to break. Not on my main line and may not be a relative at all but still intriguing. My first cousin 4 times removed in 1891 has a Albert Ambrose STRONG staying at the property in 1891 who is listed as Great or Grand Nephew. Trying to find his link back to the cousin’s family to get some more clues to resolve my brickwalls. Hope there is a couple of people out there who like mysteries

I found his mother Lucretia AMBROSE marrying an Edward STRONG on 8/8/1860 in Glyntaff Church Wales. I also found in Ancestry a Civil divorce record of Edward divorcing Lucretia in 1875 complete with their marriage certificate. (Coincidently my cousin’s niece/step-daughter was at the wedding confirming I am on the right track) Also included was a death certificate for another man, a Donald MACKAY, draper who died on 13/1/1875 in St John Glam. According to Edward, he was divorcing Lucretia for repeated acts of adultery that lead to the birth of a child by Mr MACKAY. Lucretia failed to appear and the matter was heard and the divorce awarded

According to the affidavit of Edward they separated in 1866 after having 3 children so were only married for 6 years but still had 3 children. This affidavit also suggests that the adultery occurred in 1871 leading to the birth of a child implying that the child was born in 1871 of 1872.

I went looking for Lucretia to find out what happened to her and the baby I could find nothing of her except in the National Probate Calender in 1909 that Lucretia STRONG of Cardiff Widow died in or since 1874, administration London was given to Charles (her son listed on the divorce affidavit) and the Effects was 624 pounds which I assume was a large amount of money in those day.

Not sure after the divorce that she could strictly be called a widow or Ms Strong although if she died before the divorce was issued in 1875, maybe. I have tried to find Lucretia and her baby everywhere but cannot find it. The above indicates that she may have disappeared in 1874. I can’t find any record of her death or the birth of the baby.

I can find Donald Mackay in 1871 census and he is living in East Terrace with his wife Susan, his son Chas and a boarder and servant. No sign of Lucretia there, she is living in Peter Street with Albert

Can anyone help solve what happened to her?. Are we looking at a tragic case where she threw herself and the child into the ocean after the death of her lover and the bodies never recovered or did she leave the country? Did Edward knock her off and bury the bodies in a nearby coal mine?

Thanks for the help

Lizzy9

There is a newspaper article in the Western Mail, Tuesday 05 February 1884, which if her suggests she was still alive in 1884.

Lucretia Strong was assaulted on 23rd Jan 1884 by William Roberts at Cardiff, both lived in the same house.

kermie62

Thanks Lizzy

Did they mention a district or area of Cardiff. Gone to 1881 census and there are more WIlliam Roberts than you can shake a leek at. ((Sorry to all the welsh folk out there, couldnt resist it)

Lizzy9

Sorry, no mention of where she lived.

kermie62

Thanks Mate

Irts doing me head it. Every way I twist it, I cant seem to get any sort of traction. I have looked at all the Stongs born in Wales for that time period and followed them through to adulthood and none of them are the baby mentioned. I cant find it under her maiden name either. I have gone thorugh the cenus looking for Wiulliam Roberts withgout luck. There is nothing on freebmd for Lucinda Strong and I have looked at all the Lucindas born at that location in the UK in case she change her name but no luck. I may have to give up

Lizzy9

kermie, don't give up just yet, she must be somewhere. I'm away now until Thurs and will look in then and see how your query is progressing. Good luck.

p.s. I didn't get the impression Lucretia and William Roberts were cohabitants, but that they were maybe boarding/lodging in the same house, as the assault was about William stealing Lucretia's food.

Knowledgeable and helpful

1881: RG11; Piece: 984; Folio: 67; Page: 7;
    Albert A Strong -b 1867 Cardiff, pupil at Thanet Collegiate School, Margate

Knowledgeable and helpful

you can see a picture of the school here:
    https://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk...gnettes-3.html

and a description of it in earlier days:
    "In 1855 he (Charles Wyncoll)joined a Mr. Mickleburg at Thanet collegiate school, Margate, as a partner. He was badly taken in over the partnership, and went through some anxious and exciting experiences. He found on closer acquaintance that the establishment much resembled that presided over by Mr. Squeers in Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby, and that by taking matters into his own hands only could his credit and capital be saved. He therefore insisted in taking entire management, both pecuniary and scholastic. Mr. Mickleburg died in 1857, and Charles Wyncoll carried on the school which increased yearly in reputation and numbers. Year after year it headed the list of successes at the College of Preceptors, and many of those who were trained there have become successful men and well-known in the world. When he left it in September, 1869, there were 140 pupils including those at a preparatory school attached at Thanet Lodge. The house had necessarily been enlarged and altogether re-organised, and I (son of Wyncoll) laid the memorial stone of the fine new school house in 1857. "

and today : Drapers Mills Primary Academy, (is) one of the oldest primary schools in Margate, having been established in 1929 on the site of the Victorian Thanet Lodge for Little Boys, which in turn was part of Thanet College, after which nearby College Road is named

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by kermie62 View Post
    . I can’t find any record of her death or the birth of the baby.
    Have you been able to eliminate the 10 year old Blanch Strong in Ely Industrial School Cardiff in 1881?
    RG11 p5290 f67 p9 (crown copyright in care of TNA)
    I can't seem to find her birth so far however.

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    Have you been able to eliminate the 10 year old Blanch Strong in Ely Industrial School Cardiff in 1881?
    RG11 p5290 f67 p9 (crown copyright in care of TNA)
    I can't seem to find her birth so far however.
    Without checking actual records - I think she may be a servant in 1891 and poss married a Peter Sing in Tenby Pembrokeshire in 1898, and in Tenby in 1901.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast