Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Will: Having Trouble Reading Name

I have a will from the 17th century. I can read all the names, but one, the maker of the will's (Elizabeth Squire) brother-in-law Phillip ?, gent

I have a name I hope it is, but I'm not 100% convinced (and I'm biased)

Can anyone give me an unbiased idea of what last name this is (it's on the seventh line)?

Sorry, for the size, I don't know how to spoiler block on this forum

Hugh Thompson

Hi Tanya, it looks to me like Gee???, or Gre ??? same G as in Grandchild further down the page.
    Hugh.

Thanks Hugh

From the rest of the writing in the will, I think the last two letters are 've'

Hugh Thompson

Those small upstrokes can mean almost anything from m, n, u, or i, you just have to eliminate what doesn't fit, I've been working my way through quite a few 1650-1680 court docs and after a while it starts to make sense, I've found the best way (for Me) is to read right through the document as many times as it takes, and the court docs are huge!! but even my poor brain gets it in the end.
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

If you look at the word directly below the one in question, "my decease" the last two letters appear the same.
    Hugh.

Yeah, you're right.

Thanks.

lawsue

How about "Greevse"?

Could be (scratches head)

Clues get much rarer that far back so I'm following them, no matter how tenuous.

Coromandel

My best guess so far is Geerse. I agree with Hugh on the beginning (Gee-) and ending (-se); it's that fourth letter that's proving tricky. Though it could be 'n', 'u' or 'v' I am inclined to go for 'r', as the scribe does occasionally use the old fashioned 'bucket shape' form of 'r', for instance three lines below the mystery name, in the word 'Herefford', in which two quite different styles of 'r' can be seen.

I'm not sure though.

Hugh Thompson

Have you researched who it was who married the brother in law Tanya? I take it to be Elizabeth's sister? or am I looking at this the wrong way.
    Hugh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast