Loves to help with queries

Default Hunt Family of Forston Dorset

Does anyone have access to Hutchings 'History of Dorset" please? I am trying to check the Hunt family of Forston/Charminster and have some conflicting information.

One story is Aner Hunt who had been born in Forston/Charminster, the daughter and heiress of Henry Hunt Esq., of Forston. According to Hutchins’ “History of Dorset” the Hunt family held the Manor of Forston. She married Jacobus/James Tanswell in 1663. I also have the following " In about 1671 Aner married George Browne of Frampton. On her death in 1683 the estate was left to “her issue by her second husband George Browne Esq.”

However, there is different information - "George Browne of Frampton & Forston Charminster JP (1624 1677/8 ) He was baptised at Holy Trinity church Dorchester on 22nd February 1623/4 and married Ann the daughter of Henry HUNT of London a merchant and Relict of John GUNDREY of Lincolns Inn. George Browne was buried in Godmanstone on 1 Jan 1677/8 . Will proved 2 Jul 1678."

So two different stories and I would like to discover which was the correct one. I cannot find any records of possible marriages, other than the Tanswell one.

Jacobus Tanswell's first wife was Mary Hunt, also of Forston.

Any help would be apppreciated.

Mary

Reputation beyond repute

Hutchings 'History of Dorset" please

I think you probably mean Hutchins' History & Antiquities of Dorset

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    George Browne was buried in Godmanstone on 1 Jan 1677/8 . Will proved 2 Jul 1678.
    You can download a copy of his will (ref. PROB 11/357/194) from the National Archives for £3.36:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/wills.htm

They also have a will for an Ann Browne, widow of Forston, proved 16 March 1685 (PROB 11/379/350).

Perhaps these documents will shed some light on relationships. The handwriting will no doubt be challenging, but you can always seek assistance on the forum if you need it.

P.S. I see that the text you quote about George Browne appears in an article 'about 'John Browne JP (1582-1659)'. The reference quoted for that part of the text is 'National Archives Documents On Line PRO 11/357'. This may well be George Browne's will, which I mentioned above, though there are many other wills in PROB (not PRO) 11/357. The 'Documents Online' service mentioned in the reference has ceased to exist, but you can still order the documents via the National Archives' new improved(?) catalogue, 'Discovery'.

Coromandel

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    married Ann the daughter of Henry HUNT of London a merchant and Relict of John GUNDREY of Lincolns Inn.
    Perhaps John Gundry of Lincolns Inn, Middlesex, whose will was proved 18 August 1657: again the will is available through the National Archives' site. (It's catalogued with the PCC records, though in the 1650s probate was dealt with at a civil court, not by the church courts.)

Coromandel

FamilySearch has the marriage of a John Gundry and Ann Hunt at St Bartholomew the Less, London, on 12 September 1648 (from film no. 416744, which according to the catalogue is a printed parish register transcript).

Loves to help with queries

I think that confirms that Henry Hunt's daughter Ann who later married George Browne was previously married to John Gundry and not Jacobus Tanswell, so it must have been a different Ann Hunt.
    Many thanks

Coromandel

We learn a little more about John Gundr(e)y from p.233 of this printed transcript of the Lincoln's Inn Admission Register, Vol. I (1420-1799):

24 January 1637/8
    John GUNDREY, son and heir app[arent] of Thomas G[undrey], of Wimborne, Dorset, arm[iger]

https://
    openlibrary.org/books/OL6759710M/The_records_of_the_honorable_society_of_Lincoln%27 s_Inn...

I'm not sure what the usual age for admission to Lincoln's Inn was (if there was such a thing as a usual age).